Potters mate wheel foot pedal issue

Jen2000

Hi, I've bought a second hand cromartie Millacron wheel which doesn't have huge amounts of torque a few weeks ago the wheel wouldn't spin. I put it on 2 bread boards and raised it an inch and it then worked. Now it's doing it even though raised. I've worked out after many hours of fiddling that it's the pedal needing to go down too low in order to engage the cone as it works while on its side. Please could anyone help- what do I need to do so the pedal doesn't need to be pushed so low? I'll be on stilts at this rate! Many thanks. I've a picture but can't work out how to post it.

4 hours ago, Jen2000 said:

I've a picture but can't work out how to post it.

To load a picture, go to the 'Drag files here to attach, or choose files...' prompt just below where you're typing. Click on 'choose files', then select the image you want to use from your computer. If the image is too large, try emailing it to yourself from your phone, as most email services will let you resize it during the process.

My best thought- 
There should be a set screw that holds the cone in place on the motor shaft. If it can be loosened then the cone can be moved outward away from the motor maybe 1/4” more and retightened, this should give you more effective travel.

****See below, rubber ring missing.*****

Are there two pics Jen?

The blue rod that's attached to the pedal moves the motor+cone relative to the drive wheel?

Likely Neil is on to somewhat here - the connection pedal to rod appears wonky (also looks like there's been attempts to ameliorate same).

yep.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Are there two pics Jen?

The blue rod that's attached to the pedal moves the motor+cone relative to the drive wheel?

Likely Neil is on to somewhat here - the connection pedal to rod appears wonky (also looks like there's been attempts to ameliorate same).

yep.jpg

I believe the rod slides up and down the pedal which is hinged at the heel.

ok - shouldn't there be wear marks when said rod slides to and fro?

...oh, aye, accommodating as the angle flattens, right.

Drive ring replacement, adjustment Microsoft Word - Replacing Drive Rings.docx (cromartiehobbycraft.co.uk)

Is the rubber ring worn down to the point that the cone is rubbing on the wheel?

Drive Rings for Potters Wheels - Cromartie Hobbycraft Limited

yep ii.JPG

4 hours ago, Hulk said:

Is the rubber ring worn down to the point that the cone is rubbing on the wheel?

I think you are spot on, it’s grooved for a rubber ring. Should have found the remnants under the machine at some point. Likely pretty noisy  now and slips a bunch.

Thank you ... I've just woken up to all the messages. There is a rubber ring on the big wheel but it looks a bit worn so I'll start with that- that's the orangey bit. Thank you that's really helpful and makes sense... I was focussing on the pedal but the worn ring would do it too. Thank you!

Archived