Thoughts on this Terry Davies technique of glazing onto wet clay?

Hello everyone. I've just been watching this short video of Terry Davies making some yunomi style cups.  After he throws and shapes the cup he immediately adds glaze and heats it with a gas blow torch while it's still on the wheel. Has anyone glazed straight onto wet clay before? Any idea what kind of glaze that would be? I'm assuming this would be a single fired piece? So many questions but I found this technique very interesting. Thanks. 

that heating has not done anything to the pot that would cause problems.   it appears that what he is really after is not drying the glaze but using the force of the stream of heat to cause bubbling and movement of the glaze.   no particular special glaze needed.

I went from bisque to single fire real quick.

I still prefer glazing bone dry but fancy the wet glazing idea so I done a few.

I reckon so long as you won't handle em or handle em for that matter, you'll be successful. 

For me, local clay slipglaze is the least...wet, and applies the easiest, I think it's because of how the water escapes the particles. There is a clot of clay so it dries more out of itself than via water absorbtion into the piece. Moreso when the clay is wet.

The "rule" is having high clay content in the glaze to account for the piece shrinking, since the glaze has to shrink too, the clay allows this.

I haven't used many combinations of high or low clay content glazes. Just a few. But haven't run into any problems yet.

I'm sure some clay glaze combos won't work. Worst the glaze pops off before it melts. But I do think there is a better hold with wet clay, since there is an inevitable "slippy" layer.

Go for it I say, how nice to have a piece that close to finished in one sitting? That's what I love!

Sorce

I think he’s just working with might just be straight oxides, perhaps with some flux added. I think the uneven drying of inside vs outside of the pot in order to create that rough, cracking texture, similar but milder than the sodium silicate effect is what he’s after. The fact that the slip or glaze is changing somewhat under the blowtorch is likely just a side effect that he’s taking advantage of.

Archived