Custom throwing ribs

I've always had a hard time repeating size and shapes with mugs,  vases, bowls, whatever. I decided to try cutting the shape that I wanted to repeat out of a thin slab of clay and firing it to make a custom rib. It worked. I can't be the first one to try this but thought I'd put it out there.

Stay safe!

Graybeard

5 hours ago, graybeard said:

thought I'd put it out there.

I used to find shapes I liked, take pictures, mostly mugs etc.... then scale up desired size plus 15% on computer, overdraw with a profile line. I would then print it out, transfer it to a light piece of 1/8” lexan and cut out with sheet metal shears. Touch up with a sander and have a life size rib to final profile a bunch of mugs. I ended up being able to create them fairly rapidly,  in minutes actually,  and they worked fine. Eventually became a teaching tool to lend out as folks liked various shapes so they would throw close and final shape their mug with a custom rib.  Have not done that in many years thanks for the reminding it is an interesting tool / technique that sometimes provides an opportunity to throw that interesting shape. 
I think the mug below was a combination of a body template and top template when I was bored one day and just wanted to make something very unique with a bunch of techniques. Basically gave that away to Jen McCurdy’s husband when she did a workshop.

If I remember he liked the shape .......................... and that it held two full cans of beer was a big plus!

C6A325FF-FAFF-4F21-A83A-3E0A5AE8ED18.png

Archived