Glaze chemistry

Lucy GReen

Hi, 

I'm a ceramic degree student and I'm currently working with Egyptian paste which is a form of self-glazing clay body. My question is; I really want to make it foamy and cratourous like a volcanic glaze but I'm unsure what ingredients specifically cause this reaction to happen. Does anyone know? 

Many thanks!!! 

And just to add, since I know just a slight bit about egyptian paste, it uses copper as a colorant which will not play nicely with SiC.  The SiC will reduce it locally into red and/or black mottles.  I also think it may not volcano at all since egyptian paste never forms a melt, it simply relies on a crust of salt to form on the surface which then has a very localized fluxing. 

But certainly try it out and report back.  For starting amounts of SiC, look up some lava glazes on glazy.org and copy the amount for a recipe you like the look of.  

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

And just to add, since I know just a slight bit about egyptian paste, it uses copper as a colorant which will not play nicely with SiC.  The SiC will reduce it locally into red and/or black mottles.  I also think it may not volcano at all since egyptian paste never forms a melt, it simply relies on a crust of salt to form on the surface which then has a very localized fluxing. 

But certainly try it out and report back.  For starting amounts of SiC, look up some lava glazes on glazy.org and copy the amount for a recipe you like the look of.  

Thank you so much for your reply! I also use manganese and chromium to colour my Egyptian paste as well as copper.  Would either of them be a better option as appose to the copper do you think? 

2 hours ago, Lucy GReen said:

Thank you so much for your reply! I also use manganese and chromium to colour my Egyptian paste as well as copper.  Would either of them be a better option as appose to the copper do you think? 

Manganese will probably work just fine

Archived