Jump to content

Best way of connecting two propane tanks


Recommended Posts

I get through quite a bit of gas firing my kiln with one burner, the tanks are freezing up while they are still half full. It's not really practical to run water on them.

I think if I connect two together they will stay thawed for longer, I'm not sure the best way. I've found this connector , which I would use with my existing regulator connected after the T junction. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LP-Propane-Gas-90Cm-2-way-Hose-Connector-Coupler-of-Two-Gas-Tanks-Acme-Nut-/264275507385?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

May be stupid question, but do the valves on top of tanks only work one way? If I have mismatched tanks I'd want the emptier one to run out, not get filled up by the fuller one. 

Would it matter that gas would be at full pressure before the T junction, or would it be better to have a regulator joined at the valve of each tank? 

Edited by tomhumf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your gas actually shut off? 

The only time I've had gas shut off was when the freeze line was like 40cm high.

Keeping them linked and open will just freeze them up together, so just keep your lower full valve open till it freezes, then switch. 

I've seen smarter versions of that doubler. I think you can not be there for the switch with spendier ones.

They make warmer blankets too. $$$

Sorce

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, they don't shut off, I just start to loose pressure. It's running at about 1.5bar in reduction. It's not just a freeze line, I get about half inch of ice building up by the time I need to switch, over half way up the tank.

I thought linking them would mean half the gas used from each one so they would freeze up half as quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tomhumf said:

I thought linking them would mean half the gas used from each one so they would freeze up half as quickly. 

Linking or 'pig-tailing' tanks from what I understand essentially increases the total volume and as a result does indeed prevent loss of gas pressure due to low volume frost build up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tomhumf said:

thought linking them would mean half the gas used from each one so they would freeze up half as quickly. 

Yes they ice as gas expands leaving the tank removing heat in the expansion (refrigeration effect). Two tanks,  less gas per tank and twice the area to get heat from. So less icing or perhaps none in summer depending on volume used and available heat as well as wet bulb temp of the air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 9:03 AM, tomhumf said:

get about half inch of ice building up by the time I need to switch, over half way up the tank.

These are big boys? Are you the same feller in that other thread with the pics and dampers and chimney and not enough temp too much reduction?

I fired for 10 hours on one tank the other night, just below freezing outside, and barely frosted up.

How long are you firing?

Sorce

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are 47kg tanks. I have a thread about my kiln, don't think it's the one you mention though, it's a 10 cubic ft internal space running on one burner. It's about 12 hours firing. Probably not half inch of ice actually, but very icy. I may be able to reduce gas usage in future, still working on my glaze schedule. I don't have a problem with icing tanks when bisque firing for 12 hours. 

Nobody responded to my question about if the gas would equalise between tanks if I connect them together. I've watched a couple of videos about propane valves and it seems they would work both ways, so a full tank would fill an emptier one. Can you confirm @liambesaw as you do it this way? Thanks 

Edited by tomhumf
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tomhumf said:

They are 47kg tanks. I have a thread about my kiln, don't think it's the one you mention though, it's a 10 cubic ft internal space running on one burner. It's about 12 hours firing. Probably not half inch of ice actually, but very icy.

Nobody responded to my question about if the gas would equalise between tanks if I connect them together. I've watched a couple of videos about propane valves and it seems they would work both ways, so a full tank would fill an emptier one. Can you confirm @liambesaw as you do it this way? Thanks 

Yes they will equalize levels while pigtailed.  If you don't want that, you can buy a changeover switch from an RV dealership

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tomhumf said:

@liambesaw ok thanks.  Maybe I'll just run the emptier tanks on their own to start firings, and pigtail the fuller ones when I need the extra volume.

Just pig tail them and only open one valve, and then when one take starts freezing, close that tank and open the other ones valve

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 3:26 AM, tomhumf said:

I get through quite a bit of gas firing my kiln with one burner, the tanks are freezing up while they are still half full. It's not really practical to run water on them.

I think if I connect two together they will stay thawed for longer, I'm not sure the best way. I've found this connector , which I would use with my existing regulator connected after the T junction. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LP-Propane-Gas-90Cm-2-way-Hose-Connector-Coupler-of-Two-Gas-Tanks-Acme-Nut-/264275507385?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

May be stupid question, but do the valves on top of tanks only work one way? If I have mismatched tanks I'd want the emptier one to run out, not get filled up by the fuller one. 

Would it matter that gas would be at full pressure before the T junction, or would it be better to have a regulator joined at the valve of each tank? 

Marc Ward plumbed my burners. 2 tanks per burner. I fire with 2 burners on my large raku kiln. The two  tanks share one regulator.  
No freezing. Inset my regular at 5 lbs pressure maximum. I added a photo I think in the next post. 

 


Marcia 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.