New Elements Seasoning?

desertpotter

Is it necessary to 'season' new elements when they're first installed? Rather than just jumping straight in to firing work? I've seen some information about this, but can't find anything definitive. What is the advantage to running an empty firing? Is it possible to skip this step? Thank you! 

By seasoning the elements what you are doing is allowing the elements to build up a protective layer of  (mostly) alumina oxide. When firing clay and glazes the alumina oxide coating on the elements prevents the corrosive gases that occur during firing to prematurely age the elements. Keeping the plugs out and propping the lid slightly allows more oxygen to circulate through the kiln which helps in forming the alumina oxide layer, or if your kiln has a vent then run that for the entire firing. If you only ever fire to less than 1920F or if the kiln is made of fibre then preconditioning isn't necessary.

49 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Yes absolutely.  It's extremely important for element life.  This allows the elements to gain a thick coating of aluminum oxide which protects them from damage.  

Something so important should be included on the packaging in my opinion! Lol. What temp/schedule do you suggest for an initial firing? 

Seasoning the kiln in very important.  You know what they say,  "Seasonings is the spice of life."   However, if you add too much salt in this case, you'll never get it out of the kiln....lol.  So  this time of year i'd stick with nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.   You have to adjust the seasoning depending on the time of year...

I hope everyone injoys this season's spices and their dishes (or mugs).

Jed

23 minutes ago, desertpotter said:

Something so important should be included on the packaging in my opinion! Lol. What temp/schedule do you suggest for an initial firing

This is a decent article https://skutt.com/images/Top-5-ways-to-Extend-the-Life-of-your-Kiln-Elements.pdf

Kanthal has a handbook as well but is 100 pages of intense reading. Most kiln manufactures recommend something in their manuals.

2 hours ago, desertpotter said:

Something so important should be included on the packaging in my opinion! Lol. What temp/schedule do you suggest for an initial firing? 

It's in the kiln manual, but doesn't come with replacement elements.  I think the skutt element replacement video also mentions it

Archived