Affordable Pottery Wheel for Beginner Teen

Hi!  Our now 13-year-old son has wanted a pottery wheel since forever, but it seems like you either have to pay at least $400 or else you end up with a useless toy.  We would invest in one of the higher priced ones but he has yet to even try his hand at it at all.  The problem is that he has an autoimmune disorder which makes it impossible for him to take a class.  He does enjoy crafty things in general and is quite motivated.  But for an untried hobby,  we are willing to invest around $200 if there's something decent out there in that price range.  It would be great to finally get one for him this Christmas so we would appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks very much!

Maybe see if you can rent one from a local studio.  There's nothing you can get, new or used, for 200 dollars that is worth owning.  Most 6 week studio courses where I live are at least twice that price.  

He can always handbuild with slabs and coils.  It's also a lot of fun but doesn't have the steep cost of entry.

I'm assuming you have a kiln you can use somewhere as well?

Depending on the type of autoimmune disorder your son has, clay may not be the best thing to work with.  I was teaching a class that included an adult student with an autoimmune disorder.  She had to drop out of the class because of a reaction to the mold that can be a normal part of the clay.  The first day of class was fine, but once the bag of clay  was opened the mold bloomed and she had to stop coming.

I suggest purchasing a bag of clay and a book that has the word "handbuilding or handbuilt" in the title.   That way you can test to see if his body can deal with clay. 

The internet can be a source for instruction also.

As Liam suggest,  you will need access to a kiln if you/he wants to keep  or use his objects.

I would look at it more as an investment in the child than an investment in a piece of machinery. There is a belief that says a well made piece of equipment can make it enjoyable enough for the child to invest in themselves, where something lesser may not work well enough to keep their interest at all. 

I think it's possible to find a good wheel for $200, but let the good folks here help you find something proper, and don't be afraid to just buy new. I have a feeling it'll be a good couple years still that folks'll be thinking about doing pottery at home. So there's a good chance you can recoup a good amount of cost if you had to sell it soon.

But it's pottery, so you know, your child isn't going to give it up that easy!

Best.

Sorce

Another way to look at it is buy the good wheel and when or if it does not work out sell it and regain the funds back. Right now finding any used wheel is very hard (they are all sold due to pandemic and everyone wants one) so selling is easy .As you do not know how it will go you still can sell it easy.

Archived