Looking For A Modern Equivalent Glaze

Diandtrack83

Have you looked comparatively at some of the commercial glaze producers? Amaco, Mayco, Duncan and others ...... as well as recipes at www.Glazy.org.

The other thought is post a representative picture or two here and someone might have a recipe with a similar look.

Wenger, hmm, izzat a bell ringing? ...there have been questions on Wenger wheels, or wheel heads in recent past, methinks.

"Wenger's Ceramic Colour and Chemical... The company ...ceased trading in 1984. Wenger's manufactured a range of colours, glazes and enamels for the ceramic. glass and metal industries."

from: https://potteries.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=35910&SearchType=3

Any road, commercially produced glazes circa 1984 may include ingredients that are frowned upon (or worse) these days; suggest that you look for a stable, safe, and durable replacement ("modern replacement" ah, you said that a'ready).

Potterycrafts may have absorbed Wenger's, perhaps give them a try. I'd be more inclined to start with a recipe from a reliable source and mix up me own, perhaps Frog Pond Green Matte, see John Hesselberth's Frog Pond Pottery website and/or his book.

• 2 months later...

I have twenty or thirty little packets of Wenger's enamel glaze, left over from buying what turned out be a burned-out widow's wheel. The one on my desk in front of me is dated  10th December 1957 and on the back she has written 'Ciris? Brown'. 

Does anyone know how these colours are used? I have no issues over toxicity -I'm entirely rural and my kiln is housed in a WWII guardhouse

Thanks Raoul

Archived