Rectangle plates crack in half.

I have been making rectangular trays for a few years. Lately they have been cracking in half on the 3rd firing.  I bisque at cone 05, then fire at cone 6 (Coyote glass mostly) and refire with decals to cone 05. I roll the slabs, carefully, then use the foam and press method to shape the trays. The trays are uniform thickness, not too thin or thick. I dry very slowly, between 2 pieces of backer board and with plastic for several days, then just thin plastic until dry and a few more days to totally dry. I put them on small "chicklets" of fired clay in the kiln, allowing air under the piece and also giving them a chance to shrink. I have been using several different ramps, all with a preheat and a slow cool. I am using Standard 240 white stoneware, but have had no problems with cracks in any other pieces. I have also researched and can't find any glaring errors in my methods. I am, frankly, stumped at this point.

2 hours ago, Sorcery said:

don't trust drying between 2 things. I u

Definitely why I always put a cheap cfold recycled paper towel under things. Super economical way to make sure it slides nicely and drys evenly. I no longer will set something on a ware board without a cfold towel underneath.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:50 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Definitely why I always put a cheap cfold recycled paper towel under things. Super economical way to make sure it slides nicely and drys evenly. I no longer will set something on a ware board without a cfold towel underneath.

Bill,
What is a "cfold" please? Otherwise - sounds like great advice! 

2 hours ago, Jen WC said:

Bill,
What is a "cfold" please? Otherwise - sounds like great advice! 

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@Jen WC They’re those brown folded paper towels you usually find in public washroom dispensers. Sometimes called tri-fold.

Yep, cheap, recycled and drys out the bottom about as quick as the sides while letting the pot slide easily..  Moisture wicks away. Lots of times I just leave it on the ware board often good for several wares over time. Most economical thing I have ever used.

Archived