Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We have done a fair bit like that although we just put them on stilts turned sideways and stacked. The wires would sag  but never enough to touch the shelf and the pendants (in this case) did not slide to the middle thank goodness. These were cone six firings. I did start bending the wire over the far side of the posts to limit the sag a bit but they were just stilts turned sideways so friction was my friend. Your rig looks way better!

83F254DD-B52D-4A67-A161-AE7DA8F5AF28.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll just add, Marcia (My Marcia) made a ball (of clay)  with Kanthal spikes sticking out in all directions. . She could bend those wires and hang a boatload of earrings off that thing.  Pretty cool idea for tiny stuff.

Edited by Bill Kielb
Link to post
Share on other sites

Major fail:(, but lessons learned. I found that the jewelry racks have to be fired to vitrification. The pics show why. These racks were just bisque fired. The holes on the jewelry pieces were just big enough for the wire to pass through and the holes shrunk to bind on the wire. So the holes have to be drilled a little bigger to keep them loose on the wire. The sagging caused the pieces to touch and fuse together... I may be able to salvage 4 or 5 pieces if I can get the wire out. I guess I'll be making new racks and firing to ^6. Then I'll test fire with a few scraps before making a production run. 

1785686761_Jewelryracksfail1.jpg.de9b0344da7a2f900752cf3c8427ff80.jpg1672047326_Jewelryracksfail2.jpg.7e8c4e35a5df34aa73a8fc0781fa1f51.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't use your regular cone 6 clay, it's still going to slump, more and more so with subsequent firings. April 2020 C.M. has a kiln post recipe from Jeff Diehl that he uses up to cone 12, EPK 25, XX Saggar 25 and  grog (30 mesh) 50. Another recipe that would probably work would be a mullite setter mix. C.M. June 2017 article from Glynnis Lessing making kiln setters ^10 using 20 Talc, 25 Tennessee Ball clay and 55 Mullite (100 mesh). 

 

 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch!  My method was to place 3 posts in a row.  On top of that was a 1 inch post with a hole in the middle on its side..  The wire went through the 3 holes.  The middle post kept the wire from sagging.  I don't think you can have much distance between supports of the wire if you have much weight at all on the wire.  This method used the kiln furniture that I already had.  Lin

Link to post
Share on other sites

johnny, you have provided a wonderful lesson in thinking it out and redesign of something that did not come out the way you planned.   there are lots of new folks who will read this and not do the same thing and should thank you.   well, i hope they will read it first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.