Propane level needs

tonyp

Hi All,

Does anyone have an estimate for the amount of propane required for a cone 10 firing of a 16cuft Olsen updraft?  I have 2 pickle barrel tanks aka 420# or 100gal.  My tank gage currently reads 28 of 100 and the propane company is not willing to deliver currently due to winter conditions on the roads.   I've not run the tanks that low in the past, this will be the 4th firing on this load of propane.  

Any speculation here to say if I can get one more firing on the propane I have remaining?  

Is there a danger in running the tanks empty?

I'd really like to fire this month but fear I'm just too low on fuel...

Thanks for any suggestions. 

tony 

My 100gl got frosty about 3/4 full the other 31F night. 

Got another on order to switch between 2 at least half full tanks through the winter.

I reckon you can can get away with it.... but I'd try to get more. At least have a couple 20's on standby. Turning off and switching tanks been losing only a few degrees.

I been filling up at the U-haul. It's way cheaper than trading tanks I reckon.

Sorce

Thanks Mark and Sorce! 

I have an empty 100# tank that I could have at hand, I'll look into this some more.    

The folks at the propane shop refer to my big ones as Pickle Barrels, 420lb/120gal, standing just over 4' high, I have two that were set and manifolded together by the pros.   

Thanks again.

tony 

Since you fire this Olsen Kiln you should know its consuptiion? 3 fires sounds like it used all but 28% so your tank will be empty on a 4th fire. You should never start that 4th fire with such a small margin in my view. You should get more propane before starting. You need a safety factor as the bottom of the tank will yield less bang than the top of tank.

Wait till the weather breaks and get them to come up. You live in Alaska or North Dakota or Maine?Maybe Nova Scotia-location unknown -I think there is a song about that.

Thanks Mark,

Yea, you're saying what I thought was probably the case but don't have enough experience firing to know for sure, I appreciate your sharing your thoughts.   

Of note is that when filled they only topped my tanks up to 80% last time, so my math says 80 (full) - 28 (current) =52 (used) divided by 3 firings means I'm only using about 17%.  But that still does not leave a ton of extra and the tanks were already frosting up on my last firing. 

AND, I didn't know that pickle juice works for cramps - that's great news!  I should have enough in these tanks for that:)

Good guess!  I live in Alaska:)  it's 40 degrees today, however, and if this keeps up the ice may melt from the roads and I'm calling the propane guys back.

Thanks!

Tony 

My web site relly does not show any work-Those pots are 20 years old and only for color samples. i'm not trying to sell any work on the web only to show colors and those colors are only about 1/3 of what I do with glazes. its mostly about return customers and color so we do not have to talk color. Also a show schedule which is trhe main reason its up . The site is free and I keep it current once a year.altouht the shows never change just fewer of them now and then as I downsize shows.

what part of Alaska are you -I know a potter in Homer area.

Hi Mark, 

That makes sense to me, those pots still look good and I only guess they are even better now.  Websites are a lot of work but I do like being able to see others work and point people to mine for examples.  

I live in Eagle River, Just north of Anchorage.  Homer has a lot of potters and is a lovely place!  I know Lisa Wood, in Homer pretty well and fire wood kilns with her about once a year.  I've met Paul Dungan, Cindy M also in Homer.  

I have a funny story on our last visit to friends in Homer about 6 -7 years ago. Our friends are friends with Paul Dungan so he thought I should meet him and we dropped by several times with no luck as they live nearby . On the third trip with nobody home I said let go into studio were I found some clay and threw a bowl and left it on wheel head with a note -hope you can us this .

Anyway days later he called as asked who made that bowl-we went over for lunch and met. :Later he said he sold that bowl at a fair.

Archived