Refiring test tiles

2Relaxed

This more of a curiosity question.  So I fired a bunch of test tiles using a slow-cool schedule. Some of them developed tiny crystals.

Question #1: If I refire the same test tiles using a natural-cool schedule, will the crystals be "erased" do you think?

Question #2: Would the results coming out of this second fire be the same (or similar enough) to what I would get if I only ever fired these test tiles using a natural-cool schedule?

Question #3: This one is about refiring  tiles (that were initially fired without slow cooling) using a slow-cool schedule. Would I get crystals the same way I would if I only ever fired these tests using a slow-cool schedule? 

Is your head spinning yet? :D

#1 - Probably but not for 100% positive, would have to test.

#2 - It depends on what "similar enough" is. There is already heatwork done to the glaze during the first firing, you would be adding more heatwork during the second so the glaze is going to be more melted.

#3 - See #2. You would probably get the crystals back but in a more fluid glaze. 

If you are re-firing a cone 6 glaze then either putting it in a cool spot of the kiln or only firing to cone 5 usually helps cut back on the amount of glaze running from an overfired glaze. Some glazes just don't like being re-fired, neither do some claybodies, especially the pyroplastic ones.

Archived