direct drive vs gear reduced slab roller

Thanks to everone who responded to my query about which manufacturer's slab roller I should buy. Bailey seems to be the hands down favorite, so Bailey it is. They're on sale for a few more days, and I need to decide between a 24" or 30" and a direct drive or gear reduced roller. I understand that a gear reduced is easier to operate -- but is it worth the 33% upcharge? The prices on the 24" DDRII are $547 direct drive and $721 gear reduced. Can anyone advise me on this choice?

How strong are you, and how thick will your slabs be, and how many "pounds per hour" do you roll out? My 30" geared Bailey takes some force to turn 25 lbs into a 3/8" slab.

Get the wheel! Since a rotator issue, I find it is much easier to stand parallel to the table and pull the wheel toward me, hand over hand- like a rope tug 'o war!

Tip for newbies: Don't stop during the roll thru- you will get a ridge in the slab.

30" definitely. Also the wheel is smoother to operate and avoid ridges. . I love mine. I have hade it for about 10 years. The 30 " allows for wider slabs like bird bath bowls, columns, and large slabs for drawing. Of course I have a large oval kiln to accommodate these pieces. In clay things tend to snowball.

Marcia

I went with the 24" DRD/II with the wheel upgrade and the 6 ft table and am very happy.

FYI....you may want to check directly w/Bailey about availability. I have no idea where they are now with stocking these, but in Mid-Feb when I ordered mine they said they were in the middle of a production run and that it would take 2-3 weeks for delivery ...and that 2-3 weeks ended up being over 2 months.

roll another one....just like the other one.... :P

happy shoppin'!

teardrop

Thanks for the info and insights. I had almost talked myself into dropping back to a 24" DDRII until I read Marcia's answer. With only 6" difference, surely I can squeeze a 30" DDRII into my shop. Pat at Bailey Ceramic Supply has been really helpful in pointing out that the 30" roller actually needs 43.5" of space. Whoosh! There went another thirteen and a half inches from my already tight studio! And as for delivery waits, I'm in the middle of the never-ending studio remodel, so a little delay isn't a problem. I've been working out of a corner of a spare room for several years, so even my tiny new 350 square foot studio will seem palatial (I hope).

Thanks for the info and insights. I had almost talked myself into dropping back to a 24" DDRII until I read Marcia's answer. With only 6" difference, surely I can squeeze a 30" DDRII into my shop. Pat at Bailey Ceramic Supply has been really helpful in pointing out that the 30" roller actually needs 43.5" of space. Whoosh! There went another thirteen and a half inches from my already tight studio! And as for delivery waits, I'm in the middle of the never-ending studio remodel, so a little delay isn't a problem. I've been working out of a corner of a spare room for several years, so even my tiny new 350 square foot studio will seem palatial (I hope).

my studio is a little larger two large work tables and the slab roller plus some carts, wheel and wedging table, glaze chemical sheaves and ware storage shelves. The slab roller functions

as another work table when not rolling slabs.

Marcia

Archived