Checking in!

How has everyone been? My life has been crazy (as usual) but good. A few months ago I had a couple bad firings in a row and about the same time the weather started getting nice enough for me to get out and enjoy the weather with my other hobbies and then business picked up so much that I havent had time for much else.

I have been working on a very big project with a lot of research and time devoted to it but today I found myself with some time and no customers calling so I turned off all my communication devices, ran upstairs and sat at my wheel for a few hours. Even though I havent thrown for months it has constantly been in my mind and I have had this serving bowl or fruit bowl in my mind that I wanted to try. I grabbed about 5 pounds of clay, threw it on the wheel and away I went.. I was shocked how well I did, it was like I hadnt even taken a few months off! It felt so good to be on the wheel again!

I hope all has been good with everyone!

I have been wondering how you were getting along with your throwing. I just finished another one of my unusual projects, I made roofing tiles for a mailbox. We want to build a column mailbox in the bird house style but the tiles from our houses roof were way to big to use and would look way out of proportion even if you cut them down. I ordered a heavily sanded C6 red clay and then glazed them with a slip glaze that goes with our roof. I used 250 lbs of clay, I made extra tiles in case someone hits the mailbox with a baseball bat and we need to repair it. Post some pictures of your new work, I think leather hard stage shows best in photos. Glad to have you back online. Denice

Buckeye;

Great to hear from you! The thing I have noticed about pottery making, is that you can get better with your work by just thinking about it.Probably not right at the beginning, but further down the road.Welcome back.

TJR.

Archived