Good clear glaze for Laguna Frost 6 porcelain

Lisa Alden

Hi all, I am hoping someone has a recipe or a commercial glaze recommendation for transparent clear glaze for Lagunas Frost 6 Porcelain.  I am seeking a glaze that will not craze on this clay body.  I typically brush on my glazes but would enjoy dipping.  I currently use a cone 5 white stoneware to hand build ceramic paint palettes with sgrafitto and or mishima techniques for decoration.  I use Mayco stoneware clear(after trying many many other clears).  I fire to cone 5+ (2210F). I am having issues with this glaze (honestly having issues with so many clears both commercial and recipes, life of a potter...). The issue I am having currently is that while the glaze appears to be consitent, glossy  and unbroken my palettes are becoming stained when used with paint.  This staining tells me that the glaze surface is not impermeable! Has anyone else run into this issue? I've tried touch up rough or un glossy areas with glaze and refiring but the problem of staining persists and wirsens the longer it's used.  So, long story short I would like to try Porcelain to make my palettes and would LOVE LOVE LOVE some advice/help in finding a good fitting clear glaze that will be suitable for watercolor paint palettes so that won't stain.  My local clay shop carries Laguna Frost Porcelain so that's what I'm going to start with. Thank you in advace. Lisa

Thank you for your reply,

I have fired to cone 6 but unfortunately didn't test to see if paint stained those surfaces. The issue I have  been havingh with firing to witness cone 6 is that my underglazes blister, creating another big issue. I guessed that maybe there was overfiring of the clay body at cone six resulting in the blistering of underglazes. 

The staining is spotty looking not spider webs. 

a photo of your intended product would help.   i know you want a commercial glaze for some reason but one of our members, marsha selsor, works with frost and has posted a recipe for making a glaze to use on it.   i tried that glaze and know that without the colorants in her recipe, it is a well fitting glaze at cone 6.   

20 hours ago, oldlady said:

a photo of your intended product would help.   i know you want a commercial glaze for some reason but one of our members, marsha selsor, works with frost and has posted a recipe for making a glaze to use on it.   i tried that glaze and know that without the colorants in her recipe, it is a well fitting glaze at cone 6.   

I don't necessarily want a commercial glaze, just a glaze that works!! I would love that recipe please.  I'm new here so if you could link it for me or quote it for me I'd much appreciate it.  Thanks

20201112_074814.jpg

Edited by Lisa Alden
Added image

We use frost quite often and had to create a couple clears that would fire over heavy underglazes. Some underglaze colors were more refractory than others and if applied heavily would often underfire in the areas of heavy underglaze. I’ll post a bit later here, it will take be a bit to find them.

No guarantees, all need to be tested locally!!!
@Lisa Alden

Marcias Silky Matte (also published on Glazy) cone six matte, below

• neph sy - 28.77
  • Gerstley Borate - 17.27
  • EPK - 13.31
  • wollastonite - 7.91
  • Silica - 2.16

Bills hard candy clear cone six, gloss           2nd pic below, folks in the studio have had good results covering various underglaze combinations

• neph sy - 21.88
  • silica - 23.44
  • gerstley borate - 15.63
  • EPK - 20.31
  • Wollastonite - 18.75

9EC3D20C-F1B7-4907-841B-5BF5C3456E44.jpeg

BBD1FD40-C782-42C2-8FCE-A68592AC9215.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

6 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

We use frost quite often and had to create a couple clears that would fire over heavy underglazes. Some underglaze colors were more refractory than others and if applied heavily would often underfire in the areas of heavy underglaze. I’ll post a bit later here, it will take be a bit to find them.

No guarantees, all need to be tested locally!!!
@Lisa Alden

Marcias Silky Matte (also published on Glazy) cone six matte, below

• neph sy - 28.77
  • Gerstley Borate - 17.27
  • EPK - 13.31
  • wollastonite - 7.91
  • Silica - 2.16

Bills hard candy clear cone six, gloss           2nd pic below, folks in the studio have had good results covering various underglaze combinations

• neph sy - 21.88
  • silica - 23.44
  • gerstley borate - 15.63
  • EPK - 20.31
  • Wollastonite - 18.75

9EC3D20C-F1B7-4907-841B-5BF5C3456E44.jpeg

BBD1FD40-C782-42C2-8FCE-A68592AC9215.jpeg

Thank you! I will definitely mix up a small batch and try them!!! 

selsor faux celadon  cone 6 Frost porcelain

gerstley borate             4.6

whiting                             18.5

EPK                                    18.8

neph sy                            25.8

silica (325)                    31.1

total                  98.8

have fun with it.   i tried a tiny bit of cobalt and got a great blue, totally transparent, great fit, no bad anything.

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

selsor faux celadon  cone 6 Frost porcelain

gerstley borate             4.6

whiting                             18.5

EPK                                    18.8

neph sy                            25.8

silica (325)                    31.1

total                  98.8

have fun with it.   i tried a tiny bit of cobalt and got a great blue, totally transparent, great fit, no bad anything.

Faux celadon colour with her cone 6 recipe also calls for:

Copper carb 0.3

Mason #6600 Black 0.02

(link here for an image of it from Marcia)