Secondhand pottery wheel

ValW

Hi all,

I am sure it has been asked many times before but does anyone know of a good source of 2nd hand wheels? Also has anyone got any experience of the cheap wheels being offered on the likes of Amazon? I am relatively new to pottery and have only used a quality cone drive wheel (it was a NZ brand that I don't think we can get in the UK) so ideally want something that is as good as that? 

Any advise gratefully received!

Val

3 hours ago, ValW said:

Hi all,

I am sure it has been asked many times before but does anyone know of a good source of 2nd hand wheels? Also has anyone got any experience of the cheap wheels being offered on the likes of Amazon? I am relatively new to pottery and have only used a quality cone drive wheel (it was a NZ brand that I don't think we can get in the UK) so ideally want something that is as good as that? 

Any advise gratefully received!

Val

DO NOT buy the cheap wheels on Amazon. They're a joke, and may only work for a few minutes before breaking.

30 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

DO NOT buy the cheap wheels on Amazon. They're a joke, and may only work for a few minutes before breaking.

They're also quite tiny.  You can't really tell the scale from the photos, but they're like 30% smaller than a normal wheel.

Hi Val,

Sifting through the aforementioned toy wheels, also overpriced "vintage" and antiques can be daunting. Keep checking Craigslist, eBay, FaceBook marketplace, and any other listing you may happen upon; you may find an auction or liquidation.

Perusing listings in the UK, I'm finding a few on FB that look promising, one on Gumtree...

My used (barely used) wheel was listed on Craigslist for just under half of full retail cost, still on warrantee, plus a box of tools and some dried up clay.

Archived