Question regarding Obvara Firings

I'm going to try my first OBVARA firing this week-end.  I've read that the pieces need to be bisqued to 1825F first,  and then fired to around 1650F for the "dunk into the goop".  My question is:

Can this all be in one firing?  That is to say -- can I fire them to 1825, then allow them to cool down to 1650 -- and dunk them?  Or do they need to cool all the way back down from their bisque firing and then be heated up again in a second firing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I fired mine from raw to whatever temperature Marcia dunks em at. Water hasn't ruined my cone 10 Porcelain Cup. Made a little vase too from Standard 101, 2 actually, one that had glaze on it! Oops! 

Depends on the mix I guess, but if you leave em too long, they just turn brown. Looks wicked, like leather, but it gets boring.

I think a fast dip, and maybe some subsequent spraying from a bottle, or splash with some mix from a brush or what have you, can add better variability.

I would be careful not to bring drips back into the kiln, fast cooling the elements would probably be last cooling them too.

Sorce

6 hours ago, Rick Wise said:

So .... ... a thinner mix or a cooler pot would produce less color?

What I read was of gluten strands. Since this is a biological process, that takes time, I would guess you could have the same amount of gluten strands in a thinner or thicker mix, or the same, depending on conditions etc etc.

I think the white has burnt away the material, so cooler sections are darker. But I believe too cool, and you won't get the appropriate temp to burn it in. I feel like it's a small window, just according to the specific temps.

I wouldn't mind seeing some close ups of those fabulous pots to "read".  

Sorce

Here are some close-ups of one.

One lesson learned:   When dipped into the water there is an explosive expulsion of air (or something) from the interior of the piece.  If the mouth is narrow this may cause the pot to crack. As for instance, the pictured pot which has a hairline crack starting at the neck.

obvara3.jpg

obvara2.jpg

obvara1.jpg