Wright's Water Blue Glaze flakes off of bisqueware

Rita Mattson

I made this glaze using a recipe from the 33 Tried and True Glaze Recipes published by Ceramics daily.org,

but have had problems with it flaking off of bisque ware.  

I tried adding an epsom salt solution to the second glaze pic, but it still flakes off.

What can I add to this already made glaze to prevent this?

Thank you,

Rita

Wright’s Water Blue GlazeCone 1-6 OxidationGlaze Material
Percentage

Lithium Carbonate   3%

Strontium Carbonate 9

Frit 3110       59

Edgar Plastic Kaolin   12

Flint17

Total100%

Add:Bentonite2%

Copper Carbonate5%

20201019_021743880_iOS.jpg

20201019_021751450_iOS.jpg

@Rita Mattson, are you brushing this glaze on also? Like was mentioned by Liam in your other post about issues with a clear glaze, a dipping glaze doesn't work well by brushing if it is only mixed with water. It needs to be made with either a commercial brushing medium or you need to make your own CMC gum solution and use that as part of the water content of the glaze. I think your cracking issue could be from too thick a layer of glaze. To make your own CMC brushing medium sprinkle 35 grams of CMC powder into 1 litre (or quart) of very hot water. Mix it up a bit, it will clump but don't worry about that for now. Leave it sit overnight then blend it with an immersion (stick) blender. There is no one magic amount of this you will need but for a start try using 1/3 brushing medium and 2/3 water when you mix up your glaze.  Since this glaze has a large amount of copper in it you won't need to add any to stop the CMC from rotting. For glaze recipes like your clear from the other thread add about 1/8 tsp of copper carbonate with the CMC, it acts as a preservative and the tiny amount won't effect the colour of the glaze.

BTW this glaze will more than likely craze heavily on any pretty much any claybody. 

This is a problematic glaze for most people. Why it is included in tried and true is beyond me. Hates being applied thickly.

It has been reworked on this forum and on Glazy

Top end C 6 it blisters, 

Clean damp wiped smooth pots, thin glaze app. I added silica, some have added zirco.

There are other clear turquoises with less problems for sure.

No room for tissying with glaze.

Leave any drips alone as where thicker app. It flakes.

I move glazedlazed pots by putting my hand into them and opening hand to get leverage. Don't touch rims etc.

Sprayinga little water on cracks can help if only one or two.

Fussy

15 hours ago, Min said:

@Rita Mattson, are you brushing this glaze on also? Like was mentioned by Liam in your other post about issues with a clear glaze, a dipping glaze doesn't work well by brushing if it is only mixed with water. It needs to be made with either a commercial brushing medium or you need to make your own CMC gum solution and use that as part of the water content of the glaze. I think your cracking issue could be from too thick a layer of glaze. To make your own CMC brushing medium sprinkle 35 grams of CMC powder into 1 litre (or quart) of very hot water. Mix it up a bit, it will clump but don't worry about that for now. Leave it sit overnight then blend it with an immersion (stick) blender. There is no one magic amount of this you will need but for a start try using 1/3 brushing medium and 2/3 water when you mix up your glaze.  Since this glaze has a large amount of copper in it you won't need to add any to stop the CMC from rotting. For glaze recipes like your clear from the other thread add about 1/8 tsp of copper carbonate with the CMC, it acts as a preservative and the tiny amount won't effect the colour of the glaze.

BTW this glaze will more than likely craze heavily on any pretty much any claybody. 

I used this glaze in the past.  It crazed badly on any clay I used it on.  I do not remember having the extreme flaking as I was glazing, but I do remember it was a very problematic glaze after firing.  What temp was your bisque fired to?

Archived