Problems with a cone 6 clear gloss glaze recipe

Rita Mattson

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm asking this question of the correct group. I found this clear gloss glaze recipe from this forum and

have used it with success.  However, the glaze becomes panhard very quickly, and dries on bisqueware far too fast.  I guess it needs to be deflocculated?

Is there something else I should have added to this recommended recipe at the start?

Original post:

•  
  •  

Here is a cone 6 clear for oxidation:

So Clear (from Michael Sherrill workshop)

Ferro Frit 3124 -- 32.2%

Feldspar (Soda F4) -- 25.8%

Silica -- 19.4%

Whiting -- 12.9%

Kaolin EPK -- 9.6%

Total -- 99.9%

I've had very good experience with this clear. Very clear and very glossy.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Rita

With 10% clay that bad boy needs to be FLOCCULATED not deflocculated.  Mix some epsom salts with water and then add dropwise while mixing until glaze begins to thicken. Frits can cause glazes to hardpan because in addition to being heavy, they also release small amounts of soluble salts which deflocculate glazes.  In this case, I would add 2% bentonite when you mix it next, as well as flocculating with epsom salts to get a nice mix between heavy cream and yogurt.

Just to add one more thing, when you get the glaze working the way you want it to measure the specific gravity of the glaze. It can be misleading when you add a flocculant, the glaze will seem "thicker" or denser than it actually is. It's a bit like adding cornstarch to thicken sauces or gravies, it thickens them up but the amount of water in the sauce/glaze hasn't decreased. How to measure glaze specific gravity here if you need it (about 3/4 the way down). I find it useful to always measure the specific gravity of a glaze, especially a new one, regardless of whether it's flocculated, deflocculated or neither.

58 minutes ago, Rita Mattson said:

and dries on bisqueware far too fast

Double checking, you are using this as a dipping glaze?

If you want a glaze to stay in suspension try a touch of Magma glaze suspension agent-only add it to a glaze that is adjusted right for Specific Gravity-then and a thimble full of prepared magma-that glaze wiull never settle again.

You can buy it on the web.

Best stuff I have ever used x 10 -keeps bricks floating in water also good to keep lead fishing weights floating.

Archived