On 10/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, Min said:
On 10/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, Tsculpt said:

I then talked to Mayco directly they told me never to do 05 instead of 06 for the gloss fire.

I think this is a bit of a red herring, many kilns don't fire evenly, especially older large manual ones. It would be easy to get to 05 in the middle of the kiln and 06 in the cooler parts near the floor or lid.

That, and the Mayco website says "Many Foundations® Opaques can be fired to cone 6 ... Their performance at cone 6 is noted on each individual product label with any changes.".    So, unless the particular color you used is labeled otherwise, their own website suggests you can go to ^6 - so there shouldn't be much difference going to 05 instead of 06. 

I've never used Mayco products, but the fact that they are described as "Fires from cone 06/05 to cone 5/6" makes me wonder if, like a wide-range clay body, it's just simply not mature at the lower end of the listed range, and therefor less durable ?