^6 shino experiment w/ dots

This is a Malcolm Davis's Shino recipe applied over a soda ash wash that sat for 2 weeks in a box of styrofoam popcorn packaging. The theory is the popcorn outgases something that is absorbed by the soda ash.

The first pot is made from light stoneware. The second is made from a darker stoneware but nothing like a black stoneware. There are visual dots on both pieces that were cause from the popcorn. Fired in ^6 reduction firing in a slight reduction after ^09 up to ^6. I think there is some potential here. Stranger than weird , but interesting. I was told to try this by Mike McCullough of the Seattle area wood-firers when I went to an NCECA pre-conference workshop.

Also John Britt said Malcolm's Shino worked without altering for ^6.

Marcia

post-1954-133737347503_thumb.jpg

post-1954-133737350569_thumb.jpg

post-1954-133737347503_thumb.jpg

post-1954-133737350569_thumb.jpg

This is a Malcolm Davis's Shino recipe applied over a soda ash wash that sat for 2 weeks in a box of styrofoam popcorn packaging. The theory is the popcorn outgases something that is absorbed by the soda ash.

The first pot is made from light stoneware. The second is made from a darker stoneware but nothing like a black stoneware. There are visual dots on both pieces that were cause from the popcorn. Fired in ^6 reduction firing in a slight reduction after ^09 up to ^6. I think there is some potential here. Stranger than weird , but interesting. I was told to try this by Mike McCullough of the Seattle area wood-firers when I went to an NCECA pre-conference workshop.

Also John Britt said Malcolm's Shino worked without altering for ^6.

Marcia

Plastic wrap/bubble wrap will also work in the same fashion with MD shino. Wrap the peice and let it sit for a week before firing. Very neat.

Wax resist over the Shino will also produce varied colors where applied.

interesting info about cone 6 viability with MD Shino. thanks

teardrop

So, to be clear, you glaze the pot as described then put the unfired glazed pot in the styrofoam for two weeks before the glaze firing? The styrofoam actually touches the unfired glaze on the bisqued pot?

So, to be clear, you glaze the pot as described then put the unfired glazed pot in the styrofoam for two weeks before the glaze firing? The styrofoam actually touches the unfired glaze on the bisqued pot?

At school we learned that you can dip your work in MD Shino.....let it dry....then cover it with a plastic bag...allowing the bag to touch the glaze. Where it touches, the glaze will darken visually over time (a week or so) and when fired, those darker spots will show up as (even more) variations in the colors present

One lady used "bubble wrap" and got a similar effect to what Marcia has shown......dots all over.

good luck in your experiements..

teardrop

Archived