HANOVIA lusters and gold

I am new first post so I hope I am in the right place.  So my mom had a shop for over 25 years she did ceramics and porcelain.  She was a master and did wonderful work.   She did a lot of lusters and fine metals.  She has become blind and I am tasked with Selling her things.  I found a Box with 45 bottles of HANOVIA lusters and gold nost unopened  in over 15 different colors including white gold mother of pearl gold essence halo gold....    I did some research and came up with very little I got the history of the company was unable to find when it closed other than a forum post from 2007 mentioning these were no longer available and only about 3 on the web for sale.   my understanding is this was the artists choice at the time.   So these are over 10 years old always stored in the house.   My question is are these still usable or valuable.    I have nothing to compare to I was hoping to find something to value them or someone who wants them or a correct forum where I could find more information.   Here is the list thank you for your consideration.

HANOVIA

1/2OZ

MOTHER OF PEARL 7
OPAL 2
GOLD ESSENSE 2
HALO ROSE RED 1
HALO GOLD 6
LUSTER WHITE 3
HALO LUSTER TOPAZ 1
SLATE GREY 1

2 GMS

MICRO PT (CANT READ) 1
BRIGHT PLATINUM #05 7
BRONZE #16 1?
COPPER 3696 3
BRIGHT GOLD #N 2

1/4 OZ

BLUE 1
IRRIDECENT LIGHT BLUE 1
TOURQUOISE BLUE 1
GREEN 3
LUSTER GREEN 1
LUSTER BROWN 3

These are old luster and generally do not go bad unless stored in high heat areas (evaporation)

Most are just not made anymore and have  not much value

They tend to stay just fine for long periods

in terms of value the gold still has some value as well as the paltinum

the others are less so.

I would try to sell the whole lot as one so you do not get stuck with the lesser ones

• 2 weeks later...

Bel Decal’s instructions say that their metallic and china paint decals can be used on glass. So I assume it can be done. But I also know that some stained glass doesn’t do well with heat. Check what the glass manufacturer says about the specific colour way you’re using. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, idahogem said:

I am new first post so I hope I am in the right place.  So my mom had a shop for over 25 years she did ceramics and porcelain.  She was a master and did wonderful work.   She did a lot of lusters and fine metals.  She has become blind and I am tasked with Selling her things.  I found a Box with 45 bottles of HANOVIA lusters and gold nost unopened  in over 15 different colors including white gold mother of pearl gold essence halo gold....    I did some research and came up with very little I got the history of the company was unable to find when it closed other than a forum post from 2007 mentioning these were no longer available and only about 3 on the web for sale.   my understanding is this was the artists choice at the time.   So these are over 10 years old always stored in the house.   My question is are these still usable or valuable.    I have nothing to compare to I was hoping to find something to value them or someone who wants them or a correct forum where I could find more information.   Here is the list thank you for your consideration.

HANOVIA

1/2OZ

MOTHER OF PEARL 7
OPAL 2
GOLD ESSENSE 2
HALO ROSE RED 1
HALO GOLD 6
LUSTER WHITE 3
HALO LUSTER TOPAZ 1
SLATE GREY 1

2 GMS

MICRO PT (CANT READ) 1
BRIGHT PLATINUM #05 7
BRONZE #16 1?
COPPER 3696 3
BRIGHT GOLD #N 2

1/4 OZ

BLUE 1
IRRIDECENT LIGHT BLUE 1
TOURQUOISE BLUE 1
GREEN 3
LUSTER GREEN 1
LUSTER BROWN 3

• 4 months later...

Hi Jasmine and welcome to the forum.

Lustres are an overglaze so it's best not to use your Hanovia Opal on bisque. I would suggest using a gloss glaze on it first then applying your lustre and firing to the recommended cone, gold lustres are usually fired to cone 018 and mother of pearl lusters to cone 020. Lustres take on the finish of the underlying glaze so a matte glaze will give a matte result, gloss will give gloss. You really need to work outdoors if possible and if not then work in a really well ventilated space, either way you also must wear a respirator rated for vapours not just dusts. For firing, load the kiln loosely and keep it well ventilated, just your regular glaze firing should be fine but obviously you will be firing much much cooler. (That zero at the front of the cone 018 is important!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello.

So I was clearing out some of my fathers estate. And I found a pencil case, with gold leafing and a bottle of Hanovia Opal #850. There's about 1/3 left. He was a glass painter, so I guess thats what he may of used it for. 

Would anyone like it?

I might kept the gold leafing, but it someone can use the opal, all I'm asking is that you pay the postage. 

Cheers M.Carter (South Australia)