Brent?

CactusPots

16 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

Is this what a Brent wheel sounds like?  Unacceptable!  I thought my nasty fluorescent ballasts were bad.  Guess I'll never get rid of my Pacifica. 

That's an older video on his 30 year old wheel, check one of his new videos for the real sound.

1 hour ago, CactusPots said:

My 20 year old Pacifica makes no sound whatsoever.  Motor is original.  Now I'm not a full time production potter logging 40+ hours per week, but the wheel is 20+ years old.

That's good, you must take good care of it.

I have a shimpo rk2 that's 60 years old and sounds great, and it was absolutely abused in a community college for 56 of those years.  But it was also maintained well and I continued that.

Just another reason to 'test-drive' a wheel before buying (used or new). 

All electric motors make some sound.  How much, and at what frequencies, is affected by a lot of different things.   In the case of the video, it's also possible (likely) that the type and location of the microphone used is making the hum more noticeable on the recording than it would be if you were in the room.

1 hour ago, Rockhopper said:

Just another reason to 'test-drive' a wheel before buying (used or new). 

All electric motors make some sound.  How much, and at what frequencies, is affected by a lot of different things.   In the case of the video, it's also possible (likely) that the type and location of the microphone used is making the hum more noticeable on the recording than it would be if you were in the room.

I had the same thought about the location of the microphone, but the speaker's voice is clear, so I thought the motor's noise was loud.

Just now, CactusPots said:

I had the same thought about the location of the microphone, but the speaker's voice is clear, so I thought the motor's noise was loud.

The thing is, the Brent has a reputation for a noisy motor. I had heard that the distinct motor noise was a deal breaker for some.   I have no experience with the Brent, other than considering purchasing one when I thought I had to replace my Pacifica.  When I played this video, it was the first time I had ever heard a Brent in action.  Needless to say, I was surprised.  I guess you could get used to it.

I'm no expert, but I would guess a quieter motor is a sign of quality and cost.