Hello my friends I'm back.  My last beautiful pot, well the puppy pulled the rag out of the pedal, pounced on the pedal and that pot actually clocked me on the head. At least I have an excuse now for any brain issues.  I sold my other three pots and they are fermenting wine as we speak, they held 3.5, 5 and 17 gallons.  I have the next year to actually learn and make something to be proud of.  Thanks for all your help.

I have now been asked to design a mobile gas kiln to be carried about in a 20' container that would fire eight 50+ gallon qvevri or 4 larger ones at least to bisque.  Of course I have never built a kiln before.  I imagine the greatest problem is to keep the kiln from grinding itself to death on the road, and of course keeping it down to a doable weight.  I was thinking about building walls that could be assembled on site, then I saw  John Britt's kiln made from refractory cement and I wondered if it might be the solution.  He gave me some suggestions, but I would really love to hear from you guys

The person requesting the kiln design is looking for someone who wants to move to his place outside of Austin, TX, to run a studio and a really, really big kiln he plans to build.  See The Qvevri Project.  Is there a more appropriate place to post this information?

Thanks again,

You guys make my day.

N

@NancyE If you've never built a kiln before, this project may not be the best way to get your feet wet. Designing a kiln has enough potential problems without adding portability to the mix. I would hand this off to someone with more experience.

That said, it will be fun to think this through. Before I offer any advice, though, a little more info would be helpful. Does the kiln need to be moved in and out of the container, or will it be stationary inside the container? I assume it will fire with propane? What are the dimensions of the vessels that need to fit inside? When you say a 20' container, do you mean a shipping container?

Listen to your gut,  if you have a bad feeling about the job don't do it.  If you go ahead make sure you have good business insurance.    When I had my business I had a job that my gut was telling not to take.   I was replacing another artist,  I did a couple of small things for them and they decided to go back to the original artist.  I was so relieved,   I heard later that they didn't pay for anything,  owing the artists thousands of dollars.    I had the same opportunity come up later with another couple,  I had the same bad feeling so I turned it down.  I found out that eventually the whole project fell through.   Denice

Of course I have never built a kiln before.

This statement makes me wonder why you might be taking this venture on???

All I can add to the idea is that trailers have very poor suspension and will rattle just about any kiln to death. The one in that link  is a wire kiln with fiber hanging from it. Super light. I doubt after a few fires that the ridge fiber will hold up to all the bumps.,