ruined after glazed and fired

BonnieBee

@BonnieBee First, one of the big questions is... is the piece that good that you have to save it? Meaning - would it be faster for you to throw another one? If you must, you can grind down the uneven bumps/shards with a dremel tool, clean the dust, and dab on the same glaze and re-fire with the next batch. The difficulty is the consistency in the glaze. If it is a glaze combo that has lots of variations then this may work. If it is solid, you will see the repairs. The other issue includes color loss. There is no guarantee that after a second firing your glaze will look as nice as the first firing. So, to sum up... it is a gamble!

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

There is nothing that can be done once, but can't be done twice.  

Ask Jon Singer about a red tenmoku  he saw once and afaik was never able to replicate.

I could tell you my own stories of chasing rabbits.

I hesitate to compare my experience to someone like Jon Singer but we have a stubborn streak - and a similar story of a glaze that seems a bit of a harlot.

There are sometimes just too many variables out of our control.

It's a nice thought though - keeps us hopeful.

35 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

There is a big difference between chasing the dragon and making the same bowl twice.

Not so sure about that.

That bowl will never be made again same as you can never step into the same river twice.

It's a personal thing. I tend to challenge blanket statements.

most of the time I just lurk and move on

1 hour ago, C.Banks said:

Not so sure about that.

That bowl will never be made again same as you can never step into the same river twice.

It's a personal thing. I tend to challenge blanket statements.

most of the time I just lurk and move on

It was more philosophy than blanket statement.  I didn't mean that you can perfectly recreate something handmade twice, it's the idea that you can always make another bowl.  Maybe it's not exactly what you made before, but it's a new thing.  The result is the same, right?  You made something that was ruined, so you need to make a new thing.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:10 AM, BonnieBee said:

I had a cup to break while firing (cone 6). Shards from the cup stuck to the inside of another piece. The shards are stuck to the inside bottom of an otherwise nice bowl. Is there anything to save the bowl? 

Break or explode?

How did the cup break and land inside a bowl???

For yourself?

Grind it, glaze it and use it..may be a constant reminder of an error??

On 10/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, liambesaw said:

It was more philosophy than blanket statement.  I didn't mean that you can perfectly recreate something handmade twice, it's the idea that you can always make another bowl.  Maybe it's not exactly what you made before, but it's a new thing.  The result is the same, right?  You made something that was ruined, so you need to make a new thing.

My electrical supply store would do this all the time. I would hand them a blown fuse and he would fire back, don’t stock these! I would say what? He would calmly look back and say this one is blown, we don’t sell blown fuses. Who would want a second blown fuse? I would calmly say, you are right, I would like a good one I can use! Had that experience more than once I can tell you, crusty old ..............*#&@.

@BonnieBee

Make a new pot, one that you can use. Sorry about the last one. Practice can make perfect, this one will be better.

I miss that old guys sense of humor now.

Edited by Bill Kielb