clay water down drain

Help! I've been potting for about 6 weeks (about once a week) and I've been putting my clay water down our outside drain which I've just learnt it a BIG no-no!!!

I've been saving all the chunks of clay in a bucket so it's really just the water. What should I do? Do I need to call a plumber to have them look at it before it becomes and issue? Anything I can do to rectify the situation and save my drain pipes? They're not blocked (yet).

Anyone else been in this situation? Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the water is essentially clear, then you are fine.  But if it's murky, I would not be dumping it down any drain, that doesn't have some type of trap system that can be easily cleaned out.

Many potters use a series of buckets or other such containers to filter their slop water.  The containers are left to settle and the clear water on top is decanted into the next container, or they are connected with raised outlets, so they drain themselves, when they get full enough. 

You'll find numerous topics here about those set ups, including photos.  Just search "Sink Trap" or something along those lines. 

hannah,  that "water" could be very valuable to you.   not the clear stuff but what settles into the bottom after evaporation removes most of it.   the very fine particles that remain are what makes your clay plastic.   more malleable.    try to find a way to save it so you can wedge it into the thicker chunks you are saving.    

the easiest way to recycle your clay is to let the used clay dry out totally after use.   first cut or pound or somehow make it smaller so it can dry quickly.  when you have enough, your decision, add the liquid clay you have saved as described above and some water.  let it all slake overnight and then wedge so it is ready to use again.

Archived