Lehman Glaze Mixer GS20C

I was looking to purchase the Lehman GS20C to mix large amounts of glaze at once. Does anyone have experience using this machine? They have no information on whether or not the glaze would need to be sieved after mixing (the machine has no spout to drain the glaze if it needs to be sieved). Ive asked Lehman and they don't seem to know which is very strange. Theyve asked me to check with my glaze supplier but I mix my own glazes. 

If anyone has any experience with this, Id love to know. Thanks

https://www.lehmanmfg.com/product-page/model-gs20c

Try sieving, see what bits and chunks sieve out - beats mix, glaze ware, then see what bits and chunks did for your wares, imo, for the amount of time and energy required to sieve is less than that invested (also material, space, and electricity) in just  one (ruined) ware.

I can see no reason to buy or use this machine.

Just get a brute heavy duty plastic tub and and 1/2 inch drill with a large jiffy mixer with long shaft and make your own glaze in that.Saving about 600-to 700$sYou can buy a lot of glaze materials for that money saved.

I make all my own glazes in 5 gallon buckets  than seive it into larger buckets up to 25 gallons.

If you mix long enough and/or aggressively enough there's no need to sieve. In grad school we mixed 35 gallons of glaze at a time and let the mixer run in it for a couple of hours rather than sieving. Right before I left A.R.T. Clay I was looking into buying a hi-shear mixer for our glaze production that could mix a 5 gallon bucket of glaze into a smooth slurry in minutes so we wouldn't have to sieve.

20 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

I can see no reason to buy or use this machine.

Just get a brute heavy duty plastic tub and and 1/2 inch drill with a large jiffy mixer with long shaft and make your own glaze in that.Saving about 600-to 700$sYou can buy a lot of glaze materials for that money saved.

I make all my own glazes in 5 gallon buckets  than seive it into larger buckets up to 25 gallons.

@Mark C. I need to make 25 gallons of glaze every week for 6 months. I think its worth it if it saves me hours and hours spent mixing. That is if it really doesnt need to be sieved else it makes no difference. 

@neilestrick thank you for that insight.  If there’s any other equipment that you know of that does the job better, id love the suggestion  

It's probably going to be cheaper to buy a wall mixer and a garbage can on wheels to mix the glaze.  This is what we used in college.  Just wheel the garbage can under the mixer and lower the paddle into the can and letter rip.  A glaze machine sounds cool if you have the money to put out, otherwise the wall mounted mixer works really good.  

A slip mixer is the same thing (leman is a slip equipment co.) A clamp on mixer is pretty easy to come by. I have one on a 30 gallon barrel which I used to make slip.

If you are handy a conversion is easy.A harbor freight 1/2 inch drill with a long stainless mixer shaft with blades will do fine.

My question is are you dipping or spraying the glaze? If dipping the mixer shaft needs to be swung away.If you are sprying then any container will do.

Is your galze premed?Like I have a ton of glaze made for me at Laguna  every 5 years (my recipe) and its shipped in 50# bags. I only have to add water and sieve

If you are making from scratch large open barrel is best.The onlt differance I see with a barrel and the leman is the mixer top in middle of bucket(will this be in your way to glaze your items???You can power mix witha 1/2 inch drill 25 gallons in less that 5 minutes after that mixing its takes onlt a minute or two per use.

As far a sieving glaze. It only takes once with one batch to ruin all the work. I have learned this the hard way.Since that kiln load all glazes are sieved.Always as its not worth the risk.

I sieve my premade glaze as well. Being thorough in ceramics is always best. If it can bite you sooner or later it will.

Edited by Mark C.

@Mark C. that is so generous. Thank you Mark. I wouldve absolutely taken you up on that offer but Im in Vancouver Canada. 
I see your point though and Ive decided against the lehman equipment. I can’t seem to wrap my head around not having to sieve a glaze. I make my own - I used to buy coyote but Ive managed to make my own for less than half the price.  Border closures forced me to finally figure out a good recipe. 
I need to dip my pots so have to figure out a way to get the drill out of the way to do that. But Im going to go down the DIY route I think. Hopefully I manage !

1/2 inch drill and a long large jiffy mixer withg 1/2 inch shank will do well in a ten gallon bucket and you can seive that into a 30 gallon with a talisman seive. The whole process is pretty fast for 3 loads equaling 30 gallons Down south here in the lower 48 we have a brand of heavy duty plastic ware called Brutes and you can ge dollys for them. I actually do not use them as they have uneven bottoms and a flat botton works way better than a unsevn one with that jiffy mixer.

If you go the slip mixer route -a 1/3 hp motor on a boltable mount with a long stainless shaft with propellers for mixing slip will also work. You can adapt the motor to fixed or clamp on mount.

slip equipment is often sold used around as it long out of favor these days so deals are possiable.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, tanvi504 said:

I can’t seem to wrap my head around not having to sieve

I think a lot of it also has to do with the quality of the materials to begin with, then Further, what they do when they interact. I've noticed I don't have to sift many glazes.

Glad you decided to go DIY! If you can make the glaze...! You can make the mixer!

I have been mixing my clays with a roll of half inch chicken fence, it offers a lot of shear. I almost bought a drink mixer for glazes the other day, but I put it back!  

Sorce

I use a balloon wire whisk (aka "French" whisk) chucked up to my drill motor (added a centered pin in the handle, eh?) to stir glazes (I have a long square edged scraper to work the bottom corner of the bucket); it does a great job. That said, I'm still sieving each glaze for each glazing session. If I were glazing a load every week or so, perhaps I'd skip it ...perhaps.

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

Can you explain this further?

This is just what I had close the day I started mixing! Severely cut the palm of my hand one day, it could certainly use an upgrade! 

2x4 fencing, and half inch galvanized screen.

Sharp edges scrape the bucket which is no good, but I've been to Home Depot twice for a paint mixer but can't spend that $8 either! Usually because as soon as I do, I find one free the next day!

20201006_121404.jpg.2980a2fd8002055d2bce6d55a558c414.jpg

Sorce