Remove/replace bearings on old kickwheel

Robin Beveridge

I have bought an old kickwheel, and am trying to get it working properly.

It has a bit of a wobble, which I think is a bearing problem - here's a video of the shaft. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz43wdw6yqoke58/20200927_175304_1 (1).mp4?dl=0

I can't get at the bearings to check/replace them. 

Here's a picture of the underneath. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaniyvhc8kx98t6/20200927_175907.jpg?dl=0I can remove the nuts on the bolts, but can't get at the bearings from underneath. 

I don't know the make or model I'm afraid. Here's a pic that might help identify it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu2w4juycjnmuhj/20200927_181055.jpg?dl=0

Any help or advice gratefully received! 

Cheers 

Robin 

Welcome to the forum,  Robin. From the pic of the bearing from the underside, it looks like you would remove the nuts from the housing and then use a pry bar to break the bearing away from the mounting surface. You would have to remove the bottom brace assembly to drop the flywheel and shaft from the table, which would enable you to remove the upper bearing from the shaft. With that done, measure the dimensions of the bearing and then go to www.graingers.com to get the replacements you need for the upper shaft and the bottom under the flywheel. You may even be able to find them on Amazon...Good Luck!

JohnnyK

I can see why its toast as the design allows water into the top surface. By the look of that wheel I'm guessing you are in the UK or other side of the pond so finding a replacement will be thru a european distributor. Try to get whats called a sealed bearing.

apply some loosening spray and let that sit. The photo underneath shows the bolts that hold it all together. You need to separate at that flange. Use a thin pry bar and do it carefully to drop that cap that holds it on (its the piece that the bolts stick thru)

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Welcome to the forum,  Robin. From the pic of the bearing from the underside, it looks like you would remove the nuts from the housing and then use a pry bar to break the bearing away from the mounting surface. You would have to remove the bottom brace assembly to drop the flywheel and shaft from the table, which would enable you to remove the upper bearing from the shaft. With that done, measure the dimensions of the bearing and then go to www.graingers.com to get the replacements you need for the upper shaft and the bottom under the flywheel. You may even be able to find them on Amazon...Good Luck!

JohnnyK

Very clear instructions, thanks JohnnyK

There's a couple of ways to go about that...First, take some sandpaper and try to smooth out the pitted exposed upper part of the shaft.  Then spray the shaft/bearing with Liquid Wrench penetrating fluid and let it soak for whatever the directions say, then start by tapping the bearing with a hammer in the direction you want to remove the bearing. This works most of the time. As the bearing loosens, tap harder. In order to evenly distribute the hammer's impact, you might take a piece of 1x4 and cut a slot the width of the shaft about half way through the board which only has to be about 12" long. Slide the board up to the bearing and give the board a couple of good whacks. This should dislodge the bearing. 

If that doesn't work, take a torch or maybe a hair dryer on high, the torch would be preferable, and heat the bearing. This may cause the bearing to expand enough for you to follow the hammering procedure in step one...

On 9/28/2020 at 7:08 AM, JohnnyK said:

There's a couple of ways to go about that...First, take some sandpaper and try to smooth out the pitted exposed upper part of the shaft.  Then spray the shaft/bearing with Liquid Wrench penetrating fluid and let it soak for whatever the directions say, then start by tapping the bearing with a hammer in the direction you want to remove the bearing. This works most of the time. As the bearing loosens, tap harder. In order to evenly distribute the hammer's impact, you might take a piece of 1x4 and cut a slot the width of the shaft about half way through the board which only has to be about 12" long. Slide the board up to the bearing and give the board a couple of good whacks. This should dislodge the bearing. 

If that doesn't work, take a torch or maybe a hair dryer on high, the torch would be preferable, and heat the bearing. This may cause the bearing to expand enough for you to follow the hammering procedure in step one...

All good advice but if the wood does not work use a long steel flat punch on the inner seal wacking it a few times while moveing it aroiund the inner seal. The torch will help a lot when the outer metal expands. As John says sand that saft smooth 1st.

Archived