Earthenware glaze on Stoneware

Moorlands

Hi all, 

First post and sorry if its a subject which has been covered before. 

Am new to making and had a few night classes earlier in the year before  Covid shut everything down. Should be starting up soon though. 

In the meantime I bought a kiln and have started experimenting at home. 

My question is can I use an earthenware glaze on Stoneware? 

Stoneware is bisque fired to 1000c and then underglazed. I want to apply a clear glaze over that. 

The stoneware is Buff stone from Potclays in the Uk.  Firing range of 1150- 1290c  ( https://www.potclays.co.uk/buff-stoneware:-1150-1290-c?search=buff%20stoneware )

I'd like to keep the firing temp as low as possible in an attempt to keep the underglazes vibrant. 

I have some Earthenware glaze with a firing range of 1040 - 1140c  ( https://www.potclays.co.uk/glossy-general-purpose-1?search=2206 ) and was wondering if I can apply it to the stoneware and fire to 1150.c and still achieve a clear, gloss finish

I know the obvious answer is "Test Test Test!" but I've a kilns worth of ware that is just waiting for a coat of glaze..  

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers

Adam 

The glaze may well turn out glossy but at that temperature your stoneware clay will not be vitified. It will still be a bit porous and so unsuitable for functional ware.

Also goingto a higher temp with some glazes means that they can get runny and drip on to your kiln shelf, damaging your shelfs and your pots

And so testing cannot be avoided without risk. Fire test pot on a thin disc of clay to catch any possible  drips.

Prob not what you want to hear.

Maybe be patient getf some lower firing clay and make more. Leave your already made pots to be fired at your class studio. 

Archived