Adding Dupont Nylon Fibers to Clay

I know the ratio of dry nylon fibers to dry clay, but never having mixed dry clay, I don't know what proportion to add to my moist cone 6 translucent "porcelain." I am hand building extremely thin ware which must drape over a tall plaster form, and ordinarily it takes six or so trys before I can get one that doesn't rip off the form. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get from anyone who has used these Dupont nylon fibers. I purchased them from a ceramic supply store. Thanks.

I can't see how you can effectively add fibers to already mixed clay. I would recycle scraps into a slurry and add the fibers (dissolved into water) to the slurry mix.

When I mix fibers, I use a small handful of fibers dissolved into a bowl of water. I put that into the water base in my Soldner mixer, then I add the slip and dry mix.

It does not take much. Too much and the batch is ruined.

Marcia

I can't see how you can effectively add fibers to already mixed clay. I would recycle scraps into a slurry and add the fibers (dissolved into water) to the slurry mix.

When I mix fibers, I use a small handful of fibers dissolved into a bowl of water. I put that into the water base in my Soldner mixer, then I add the slip and dry mix.

It does not take much. Too much and the batch is ruined.

Marcia

Thanks Marcia,

I wonder if you could tell me how much dry mix you add to your mixer to make up 25 lbs of moist clay? That information along with what you've already told me should have me set. Thanks so much for your help.

I don't mix 25 pounds. I mix about 200 pounds dry and add it to water for about 290 pounds of moist clay. I doubt if my mixer would operate correctly with only 25 pounds in it. For 200 pounds of dry mix, I use a small handful of fiber dissolved in water and add it to about three inches of water in my mixer. My hands are small.

Marcia

Archived