Tumble Stacking in a wood kiln

Don Reitz used to tumble stack.

I had a great video saved but can't find it on this new win10 desktop.

Searching again this morning reminds what a character he was.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/archives-american-art/2018/07/06/acquisitions-don-reitz-papers/

some tumble stacking in the first few minutes - loading starts around 1:30

8 hours ago, C.Banks said:

Don Reitz used to tumble stack.

I had a great video saved but can't find it on this new win10 desktop.

Searching again this morning reminds what a character he was.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/archives-american-art/2018/07/06/acquisitions-don-reitz-papers/

some tumble stacking in the first few minutes - loading starts around 1:30

Thank you Dick. Spirit lifting on a rainy Sunday morning

Thank you for the link and YouTube link.  There is not a lot of information out there that's easy to find.

I'm going to tumble stack in the front part of my train kiln.  I'll be stacking it in the morning.  I stacked the back of the kiln today.  I would not be doing this, but I have a guy that's bean after me to makes him a bunch of peaces.

3 hours ago, saltedfire said:

Thank you for the link and YouTube link.  There is not a lot of information out there that's easy to find.

I'm going to tumble stack in the front part of my train kiln.  I'll be stacking it in the morning.  I stacked the back of the kiln today.  I would not be doing this, but I have a guy that's bean after me to makes him a bunch of peaces.

You should share pictures if it's ok.

I enjoy living vicariously through other peoples kilns.

;)

I ended up loading the front with a bunch of tall stuff like I normally do.  I woke up this morning to an email from a designer from up north with a list of the type of stuff shes looking for.  I would rather do what I'm 90% sure I have a sale for than something that might not work and I might be able to sell right away.

I just stuck a weed burner in it on low.  I'll toss some wood in it about 3am and bring it to life.

The best way to learn tumble stacking is to do it with someone who knows how. In addition to learning the basic physical process of creating a stable tumble stack, you need to be aware of how the stacking affects flame path, and how that affects kiln performance and the look of the pots. There's a lot that goes into a good tumble stack. You're not going to learn that from a book or YouTube video. Either invite someone with experience to help with your kiln, or take a wood firing workshop somewhere.

Archived