QotW: How many dogs out there are eating dried trimmings? Any cats insisting on “collaborating” while the clay is wet, or on photo day? 

@Callie Beller Dieselrecently queried in the QotW pool: I think we need a thread on all the intrepid studio pets out there! How many dogs out there are eating dried trimmings? Any cats insisting on “collaborating” while the clay is wet, or on photo day? I really haven't had any pets in the shop, so I can't attest to the animals getting into the shop. Ohh wait, there was one incident several years ago. We have a garage that I have claimed as my shop. It is brick, and had an old door, that sometimes in the weather would blow open. I had it happen one winter, and did not notice it, probably for a few days. I did hear something one night late, sounded outside, but didn't see anything from the front bedroom window, sounded like quite a cat fight. I did notice the open garage door, later, and closed it. As winter is pretty well too cold for the brick garage, it was Spring before I was in there again. Shop had an odd sickly sweet odor that I recognized from previous experience. . . searched for a while to find the source. . . a large dead rat that look like it had been pretty much torn apart by more than one cat, but I don't know how many were involved. Yep only animal situation in the shop, took a while to clean it all out, but no more rats since.

so once again, How many dogs out there are eating dried trimmings? Any cats insisting on “collaborating” while the clay is wet, or on photo day? 

best,

Pres

My daughter has a companion animal (Border Collie) that has nibbled on clay trimmings for 4 years so far.  She will only go after the trimmings if she has not been around clay for a few days.  If shes been around the clay every day she will not go after the trimmings even if you toss some at her.  We have talked to the vet about it and told it's going to happen if shes around clay.  I have seen her drink the slop water a few times when her water bowl is 5 feet away.  She hates the glaze room and tries to lay down, but ends up laying right out side the door.

My dog Maggie that passed last year would sometimes curl up under my work table if I put a dog bed down there. She did occasionally eat clay,  but not much of it. Our new-to-us dog Bruiser makes an excellent instagram model, but is disinclined to lie on the cold studio floor when there’s a perfectly good couch/blanket combo upstairs in the living room. 
Also, Bruiser is the worst name ever for this dog. Bruising anyone would involve effort, and wouldn’t get him cuddled, and he is NOT having that. 

5FF251DC-AFEA-435B-9A51-BB9B404004A2.jpeg

• Pres unpinned this topic