Porcelain and Ceramic Jewelry

I have made one or two bangles from clay but I found them quite unsatisfactory for wear and selling them was almost impossible. I have combined metalmsithed bangles and clay and epoxy for a more durable type of outcome.

I use heavy kanthol wire to suspend heavier porcelain jewelry from the bead rods if i want to glaze and entire piece You will need to use two rods to suspend a bangle and then grind down the resultant small marks the wire leaves on the underside of the piece with a dremel or Foredom.

Hi Fuad,

I thought I had responded to your sanding comments- maybe with this being reposted its been deleted.

Wet sanding should not create any dust at all. I use automotive suppliers wet sand paper as it gives the smoothest finish.

Half fill a bucket with water and I put all the jewellery needing sanding in there. Work on one at a time underwater = no dust!

Its a very fast process so doesnt add much to the making process, they end up smooth as glass.

I find over time they can become marked when worn often, but I just wash mine in soapy water with a soft brush and also advise buyers the same.

hope this helps Lyn

• 5 years later...
On 5/20/2012 at 11:05 AM, lynny said:

post-6239-13375262897_thumb.jpgpost-6239-133752627871_thumb.jpgHi all,

I havnt posted here since last year, but am still an avid reader of this great forum.

I make a range of jewellery and had to do lots of testing to get results that I'm happy with.

The coloured texture stamps bracelets are glazed all over and final fired on 3 pronged sitters.

The coloured porcelain is very much trickier. If I glazed all over and hung from a wire support, they stretched out of round.

So I now wet polish the interior, so they feel great against the skin- some I also polish the outside and leave unglazed.

But others I clear glaze on the exterior and fire them laying on the rim with some calcined alumina on the shelf.

The rings took me a long time to get a solution. The ones in this image are glazed all over and are sitting in little clay mounts I made for them and re-use.

You can see I use calcined alumina here to, and because its such a small surface a light wet polish after firing smooths this surface well.

Hope the images helppost-6239-133752627078_thumb.jpg

post-6239-133752627078_thumb.jpg

post-6239-133752627871_thumb.jpg

post-6239-13375262897_thumb.jpg

Hello , 

I’m new to this forum and I’m not sure if I would get a reply since this was posted years ago. But thought i’d try anyway.

I’m trying to glaze some bracelets all over , and  I hope I’m ready this right. So you use alumina hydrate under the glazed rim of the bracelet to prevent it from sticking? 

Thank you 

Asmaa

3 hours ago, Asmaa Aman-Tran said:

I’m trying to glaze some bracelets all over , and  I hope I’m ready this right. So you use alumina hydrate under the glazed rim of the bracelet to prevent it from sticking? 

Nope, the alumina hydrate will make a crusty mess of the glaze. To glaze something all over ceramic stilts are used to support the item then the little rough spots the stilts leave behind are sanded down after firing. The higher fire you go the higher the chance of slumping / deforming the bracelets.

Archived