How to make a pizza or baking stone?

Hi all,

I was just about to order an expensive baking stone for bread/cookies/pizza when I realized (DUH!!) that they are clay!! So I should be able to make one, right? 

I have a couple of questions:

- What kind of clay??? I have low fire red, Laguna 55 cone 6 whitish, Laguna 66 cone 6 handbuilding clay, a cone 10 woodfire clay and I think I have a cone 10 B Mix with grog.

-  I'm still not good at making wide flat things, so can I use my roller to roll out clay and then cut it to the desired shape? 

- If my clays aren't good, where would I get an appropriate clay and what kind?

Thank you in advance! 

Nancy

A pizza stone is the same as a kiln shelf. While it is ceramic, it's not your typical clay body. It can handle thermal shock much better than a clay slab would. Chances are if you made it out of a regular clay body, it would crack when you placed the pizza on the hot slab. Flameware clay wold be the only type I wold trust, but you can't just buy it. Nor can you just buy the mix that kiln shelves are made from. You would have to mix your own, which wouldn't save you all that much money and still probably wouldn't perform as well. Either buy a pizza stone or a kiln shelf. I use a CoreLite kiln shelf, and it works very well. On the grill the open core structure keeps the slab from getting too hot, and it works very well in the oven, too. Get a new shelf, do not use a kiln shelf that has been used in a kiln already.

I bought a pizza/bread baking stone for my son several years ago,   I found it in a closeout of outdoor grill accessories.   This would be a good time of the year to buy one,   my son's wife decided to go gluten free so I stuck it in  a closet.  I need to make a loaf of bread maybe I should give it a try, it can be used in a oven or on the grill.    Denice

10 hours ago, neilestrick said:

A pizza stone is the same as a kiln shelf. While it is ceramic, it's not your typical clay body. It can handle thermal shock much better than a clay slab would. Chances are if you made it out of a regular clay body, it would crack when you placed the pizza on the hot slab. Flameware clay wold be the only type I wold trust, but you can't just buy it. Nor can you just buy the mix that kiln shelves are made from. You would have to mix your own, which wouldn't save you all that much money and still probably wouldn't perform as well. Either buy a pizza stone or a kiln shelf. I use a CoreLite kiln shelf, and it works very well. On the grill the open core structure keeps the slab from getting too hot, and it works very well in the oven, too. Get a new shelf, do not use a kiln shelf that has been used in a kiln already.

Thank you, Neil. I had NO idea of all of that!!

Nancy

The shelf I bought is made for outdoor grill use,  If I want to use it in my oven I will have to cut it in half.   It looks like a core-lite shelf but the box  said it could only be fired up to 800 degrees.  I only paid fifteen dollars,   I can cut it in half with my new tile saw,  found a 10 in Goldblatt tile saw including the blade for $430 at a tile store.   It was 800-1000 dollars every where else,  I don't know why the regular price was so much less at Floor and  Decor.   Denice

On 9/14/2020 at 6:55 AM, nancylee said:

So I should be able to make one, right? 

I literally just had this conversation two days ago, when I made this beauty on my (worth-every-penny) Pampered Chef pizza stone. People don't seem to like it when I explain that no, I really can't just make them one (the stone, not the pizza). :D Oh-for those who might be curious, it's a gluten-free crust of cassava & almond flours, enriched with the oil sun dried tomatoes are kept in; the topping is a true pure Italian sauce, fresh real mozzarella, fresh basil leaves & some of the sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious! 

20200913_181412 (2).jpg

Edited by LeeU

On 9/16/2020 at 11:04 PM, LeeU said:

I literally just had this conversation two days ago, when I made this beauty on my (worth-every-penny) Pampered Chef pizza stone. People don't seem to like it when I explain that no, I really can't just make them one (the stone, not the pizza). :D Oh-for those who might be curious, it's a gluten-free crust of cassava & almond flours, enriched with the oil sun dried tomatoes are kept in; the topping is a true pure Italian sauce, fresh real mozzarella, fresh basil leaves & some of the sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious! 

20200913_181412 (2).jpg

That looks great!!! Thanks!!