Shimpo VL lite won’t turn on

emmaanne93

Hey Folks, 

I’ve had my Shimpoo VL Lite for about a year and a half now (bought it new) and the other day I noticed it was rotating and then kicking off, then rotating then kicking off over and over again with steady pressure on the foot pedal. I switched it off and back on again which seemed to solve the issue and I threw some pots with it functioning normally. Today went to throw and it did the same thing, I tried to reset it and now it won’t turn on. No light on the power switch and obviously no wheel rotation. I don’t know much about electrical stuff but I think it may have blown a fuse? Although I think that may be a symptom of a bigger issue. Anyone else had an issue like this or know how to troubleshoot? Thanks!

Is there a fuse on the wheel control box? Start with inspecting that and see if it came loose, or if jiggling it makes it work. Sometimes the fuse holders go bad and need to be replaced. Also try jiggling the power cord and see if you get any response. And make sure the outlet it's plugged into is still working. After that things get more complicated.

Hey folks, thanks for the responses. I just wanted to give an update on my wheel. Luckily the local ceramics store I bought from was able to take a look. At first they thought just needed to reset the potentiometer, but that didn't fix the issue. Turns out the switch was bad. Ordered a new switch from Shimpo and should be able to put it in this week. It was still under warranty so no cost to me (and thank goodness did not have to ship my whole wheel to Illinois for Shimpo to diagnose). I'll post again when I get my wheel back and confirm it's in working condition!

• 2 months later...

Hey folks, went to throw today and having the exact same issue as before: my wheel is starting up and then the motor dies. Starts ups again a few seconds later and the motor dies. This is with the pedal pressed to the floor. I’m so frustrated with shimpo, this is what was happening back in September before the switch completely died. They replaced the switch and reset the potentiometer and it worked for a bit. I bought this wheel brand new less than two year ago and I already feel like I have to replace it. I’m so disappointed. It’s so frustrating to prep a ton of clay, sit down for a 3-4 hour throwing session and not be able to throw, especially with the holidays right around the corner. I just can’t rely on my wheel.

Took the foot pedal apart and tried resetting the potentiometer,  no luck. I think the potentiometer needs to be replaced, but I’m not certain that’s the root of the issue. I’m going to get it looked at tomorrow at my local ceramic shop and see if they can fiddle with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, update on the wheel. I took the foot pedal apart and reset the potentiometer, which didn't help the issue. I took it into my local ceramic store where I bought it, and they attempted to diagnose the problem. They weren't able to see an immediate solution, so they called Shimpo, who decided to just replace the entire motherboard. Luckily I got a loaner wheel from the ceramic store (Shouts out to The Ceramic Store of Houston, the real MVP) and have been able to throw while my wheel is being worked on. Just got word today that its fixed and ready to go. Kind of seems like my wheel is a lemon, and I'm really hoping I don't have continuing issues with it (especially when my warranty ends after a few more years), but fingers crossed this is the last fix.

Archived