Studio Tools, Sponge on a Stick

Min

I was looking at a telescoping sponge on a stick and kind of balking at the price. Picked up 2 mini paint rollers from the dollar store (2/$1.50) and pushed one onto a paintbrush handle, works great. 

It's been a while since we've had a tips and tricks thread, anybody have anything they could share?

IMG_0750.jpeg.bc429e675909347c85a5bb71e858a5c6.jpeg

• Min changed the title to Studio Tools, Sponge on a Stick

That's a foam roller? Good idea! A foam brush might also work, with the corners trimmed off. Izzat a clothespin Min, upper right hand corner?

...I clothespin the chamois strip to the water bucket; it's now a habit.

Other habitual behaviours:

Throwing tools and trimming tools are in their own containers; when switching activities, switch containers ('cept metal rib and pointer, them's "both" tools).

Place pointy tools point down inna tool cup.

Put tools down inna "their place"

Verify the bat is seated before puttin' clay on thar - run the wheel, kiss a tool edge (a wood knife, for example) to the bat, ever so gently, listenin' for the continuous skritch, vs. intermittent chirp, chrip...

Wait for wheel to come to a full stop, take foot away from the gas pedal, before reaching between the wheel edge and the (fixed) pan - when seated, else flip the switch and dump the residual (or just sit down).

Heat to bend, then grind trimmers from old hack saw blades (thanks to Mr Lin for inspiration on that'n)

17 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Izzat a clothespin Min, upper right hand corner?

...I clothespin the chamois strip to the water bucket; it's now a habit.

Other habitual behaviours

I do the ole champagne cork trick with my chamois.  

My little tip and trick for us shed and garage throwers coming up, get yourself a little crock pot from the second hand store and use it for your throwing water.  I put mine on low and use an interval timer to turn it off after 4 hours.

Am using the floatie for the cut off string ("off the hump" - string, not wire).

Garage tip over the last few days - bucket of cool water and a washcloth for keepin' cool, and flip flops (we had record wave o' heat).

This winter I'm looking to add an electric kettle for heating water to: pour into throwing water and cleanup buckets, make tea.

57 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Izzat a clothespin Min, upper right hand corner?

Nope, it's the tip of my throwing gauge. I cannibalized a swing arm lamp, took the shade and socket off and added the wood pointer. Pivots in and out plus up and down, clamps to the table in front of my wheel.

IMG_0755.jpeg.32990e4792eab7caf1e651b175bc55ef.jpeg

Got wire shelves and no plaster slab for reclaim? Just lay a thrift store sheet over one of the shelves and lay your reclaim slip out on it. Should be ready in about a week, give or take. 

Also, if you wrap some of that aforementioned pipe insulation around your Do All trimming tool, it’s a much more comfortable item to use. 

Archived