warped kiln lid

Shelly M

Hello all!

I have a Skutt KM 1222-3 kiln. Recently, I noticed a gap on the left side of the kiln between the lid and the body of the kiln. When I hold a straight edge across the inside of the lid, it appears to be slightly bowed or warped. I've got an email into Skutt but since they are backed up I may not get an answer right away. Here are the questions:

1. How much will a gap of 1/8" - 1/4" affect my glaze firing?  I've already bisque fired and the 04 cone didn't bend all the way but it seems to be more like cone 05 and I'm okay with that. ( I also replaced the thermocouple because it had about 35 firings on it and has started looking a little old)

2. I use a vent when firing. Will too much air be pulled through the gap and should I not use the vent?

3. Is there any type material I can wrap around the lid edge to cover the gap that can withstand cone 6 temps? 

I appreciate your help with this!

Some photos would help others, better answer your question.

Does the lid have any other defects, such as cracks? 

Is this kiln new, or new to you?  I ask because it could be that a previous owner set things on the lid, which isn't advisable.

1.  There will always be a slight gap, between the kiln lid and body, which increases a bit, when it's firing and things expand.  A small gap could make your firing take slightly longer, but it will still get up to temperature, though if a gap was big enough, that could affect how part of the kiln fired.

2.  I'd keep using the vent it won't noticeably affect anything. 

3.  I wouldn't worry about putting anything in the gap.  Ceramic fiber blanket would be your best bet, but there is no reason to mess with that stuff, unless you absolutely have to. 

Thank you so much!  That’s exactly what I needed to know. I bought the kiln new 4 years ago so no previous owner.  I’ll post a couple of pics. The kiln is in a different location from where I used to keep it. The reason I noticed the gap is because the location is dark & I could see the glow Of the elements through the gap. 
thank you again 

My classroom kiln lid has no discernible warp, and I can see the inside glowing, if I drop to eye level with it. 

That's why I discuss kiln safety with all my classes.  "The large metal thing, gets really hot, so don't get too close, make direct eye contact or upset it, in anyway..."

4 hours ago, Benzine said:

My classroom kiln lid has no discernible warp, and I can see the inside glowing, if I drop to eye level with it. 

That's why I discuss kiln safety with all my classes.  "The large metal thing, gets really hot, so don't get too close, make direct eye contact or upset it, in anyway..."

Good sound advics for a number of siuations

A gap when the kiln is hot is normal, as long as it isn't too big. 1/8 or so is acceptable. 1/4" is getting a bit large and could affect the firing. There should not be any gaps when the kiln is cool, though. If there are, it's usually because the hinge is either too high or too low. If the gap is at the front of the kiln, opposite the hinge (most common), it's because the outer band has slid down under the weight of the open lid, and you need to move the hinge up. If the gap is at the back by the hinge, then the hinge needs to be moved down. Unfortunately, there's no adjustment that can be made to the hinge itself. Instead, you have to move the outer band on the kiln to which the hinge is mounted. You may be able to move it enough just by loosening the clamps on the body band (which are buried behind the hinge so you have to use a socket wrench to loosen them), but there's a chance you'll need to remove the entire hinge to get it to move. If you have gaps in various places around the lid, then you've got a warped lid or an uneven top row on the kiln body. If the top row is the issue, it can be sanded flat. If the lid is the issue, that's not something that can easily be sanded.

Archived