Clockwise or Anticlockwise

Hello - I have been throwing cylinders on my kick wheel for 3 months,  teaching myself. I have the wheel going clockwise which seems good - Now I have just bought a small electric wheel and wonder if I should use this one anticlockwise so I don't pick up bad habits. Any comments would be interesting on this subject Thanks

Hi and welcome!

Are you right or left handed? Typically if you’re right handed, you work with your right hand on the outside of the pot and your left hand inside with the wheel turning counterclockwise, and vice versa if you’re left handed. But there are a lot of ways to make pots, none of which are wrong per se, if they result in a pot being made. I would pick one method and stick with it on both wheels because there’s a lot of muscle memory to build, and trying to do it both ways is bound to trip you up. 
Hope that helps!

If you will be taking classes then working the same side of the wheel as the demo is being done it makes it easier for both you and the instructor. In Japan (and I think Korea) wheels go clockwise otherwise its counterclockwise. Doesn't matter if you are left or right handed since you use both while throwing.

Best to master  counterclockwise as thats the way  westerners do it as well as many other places on the globe .Left or right hand does not matter.

Once you master this you can master the other direction if you want.

3 hours ago, Hands On said:

however learning the basics of throwing is probably a different approach

That it is! I’ve met a few painters who made an effort to work ambidextrously. But I’ve never found working in clay conducive to any kind of prolonged comfort level. Something always comes along to challenge you, wether you want it or not, lol!

Counterclockwise is typically used by western cultures, whether right handed or left handed. Many wheels weren't reversible in the past, mostly just the high end models were until about 20 years ago. Eastern cultures typically work clockwise. Although I have reversing wheels in my studio, I make my lefties learn to throw counterclockwise, because if they ever take workshops at colleges or other places that have older wheels, there's a chance they'll get stuck on a wheel that won't reverse. It also makes it a lot less confusing when they watch demos or get tips from advanced students. The throwing is never a problem, but sometimes trimming gets a little tricky but we work it out- there are a couple of solutions for that. It doesn't really matter which direction you work, as long as your hands are in the right place for each situation.

Great help thanks - watching videos they all seem to go anti clockwise - I shall go anticlockwise with my new Shimpo (lucky Me) and clockwise with the kick wheel but while pondering this the Kick wheel broke!!! I will be posting for help with that. very boring.

A beginners thing - For some reason without thinking about it when I started I centered going anticlockwise and then pulled the cylinder going clockwise I wonder if this affects  the structure of the clay .

I will now throw anticlockwise for the next 6 months then revisit Thank you for your support 

As Neil has said, and others also, western world uses the counter-clockwise motion to the wheel. Exceptions to this may be a class in Eastern style throwing as one that Penn State had back in the 70's, taught by Kenneth Biettel, he was a westerner who studied in Japan working on a clockwise wheel.

Al in all, learning to throw is difficult enough as it is and to switch back and forth just complicates the learning. Proper form uses the left hand on the outside of the clay while centering, braced into the hip. The right hand pulls the clay either by pulling toward the left hand, or by pushing the clay downward with the hand/fist to expand the clay outward against the left hand. These motions will center the clay after practice.

After centering the right and left hands are braced to the outside of the centered clay and a thumb or finger of the rt hand is used to dimple and eventually to core the centered clay to create an interior and exterior. Most folks learn to use the thumb, others a finger, but whatever feels comfortable. Once the clay is opened up, it should be somewhat in the shape of a donut attached to the wheel head. From here on out the lt hand is used inside, the rt outside. To create pulls the lt hand is used inside the clay as support while the outside hand with some pressure point of the the thumb, pointer finger or combination of fingers is used to squeeze the clay wall to force some of the thickness into the wall above the pressure point. As the clay rises so should the pressure points of the rt and lt hands. This motion is continued in a slow regular motion with pressure that gradually reduces as coming to the top of the clay. Practice is the only thing that makes this work, and it really takes a lot of practice.

All a beginning, a journey in itself. 

Welcome to the forum,

best,

Pres

Archived