Underglaze that doesn’t need clear coat over it

Leslie's U-Series Underglazes (Industrial Minerals Co.) are the only ones I know of that are marketed as food safe without a clear glaze applied.  No other underglaze products make this claim (as far as I have found);  the rest need to be covered with clear glaze. 

10 hours ago, LeeU said:

Leslie's U-Series Underglazes (Industrial Minerals Co.) are the only ones I know of that are marketed as food safe without a clear

Not sure I see that on their website. Food safe means no lead or cadmium but I would be wary of durability for food surfaces.

Edited by Bill Kielb

21 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Not sure I see that on their website. Food safe means no lead or cadmium but I would be wary of durability for food surfaces.

It does say they are food safe if fired properly, but I agree. They may not have lead or cadmium, but with a surface that matte and the fact that underglazes are heavily loaded with colorants, I would not consider them to be food safe. Surfaces that dry have the potential to trap bacteria, and are not usually very durable. The FDA says dishes in restaurants have to be glossy for those reasons.

I am excited to see that they sell premixed gallons! I'm going to have to try out their black.

9 hours ago, neilestrick said:

It does say they are food safe if fired properly,

I honestly cannot find anything significant on their home website except some warnings and a request for sds form which takes up to three days for them to fulfill. It’s common for many manufactures to state their product is safe but  must be used exactly as they tested using their other compatible products. Food safe ..... simply no lead or cadmium. Might be great stuff but I Am with you and actually convinced more than ever probably not good for any food service without an overglaze.  The prop 65 link seems broken as well. Good luck with the black.

https://www.clayimco.com/safety-data-sheets

C36C155D-0D50-4E46-86B9-BD8401344156.png

Edited by Bill Kielb

On 8/2/2020 at 11:32 PM, LeeU said:

marketed as

These are the key words---I really should have added that I was in no way suggesting that just cuz that's what was stated, the claim could be taken to the bank as guaranteed fact! I also should have added that I personally never make ware for food/beverage use so whether or not it is actually food safe is irrelevant to  me.  I always assume there is follow-up/deeper digging to be done before any product is used, especially if somebody just posted a comment in a discussion with no further info. Probably ought not do that either! :lol: