Underglazing: Can you use something other than clear for cone 6

Hi all - I'm fairly new to underglazing.  I have historically glazed my pieces with a select few glazes which I brush -very rarely dipped. I use Bella's Blend from Highwater because the clay body shows off my favorite glazes.  

These are my go to glazes

• Coyote: Eggshell
  • Coyote: Light blue
  • Mayco: White opal (usually over the light blue)
  • Mayco: Green opal
  • Laguna: Turkish amber (accents)
  • Amaco Celadon: Cherry Blossom
  • Designer Liner: Black

I'm not a fan of clear glaze over exposed clay body.  I am adding a pic of a piece I made a few years ago - I used designer liner as the black and white opal over it - but it ran really bad and muted all the detail.  So I'm wanting to try with underglaze to see if my designs will remain crisp.  But I don't want to have "naked" clay around the designs.  And I really love my main mid-fire glazes and the durability of mid-fired pieces. See below

image.png.f25f8e985b7e97e2b4476a57584f3654.pngimage.png.4c1e7e026256af07c04d3b4548c2b429.png

Suggestions on how to achieve this with underglaze (i.e. the black details?)   Can I put underglaze over glaze and then cover the underglaze with celadon or clear?  

You can get small"pens" whch you can apply fine lines with. Or fine tipped brush

Your glazes look stiff i.e. not runny so test applying black over unfired glaze. You have to lay colour onto the unfired surface

No need to fire and refire.

Research ongl0aze decoratin or majolica work.

Linda Arbuckle is a generous expert in this

6 hours ago, BlueChihuahuas said:

So I'm wanting to try with underglaze to see if my designs will remain crisp

So as @neilestrick mentioned lots can be done.

Ikebana: underglaze design with green celadon over it (carved porcelain)

Trivet: painted underglaze with well formulated durable matte clear glaze over it

Cup: golfer painted underglaze  with matte clear and interior glossy liner. ( very white porcelain clay)

here are some ideas, just add experimentation energy! Pretty crisp I think.

3AC11842-CAC2-4ACE-A968-A325DB7D19FE.jpeg

F28D180B-E30A-4710-AEFB-8D446812326A.jpeg

7400ABED-1AEA-4F2E-8B61-3090FAF9D20E.jpeg

1 hour ago, BlueChihuahuas said:

those are crisp designs.

Have any of you used an underglaze overtop of a traditional glaze?

I did one time.  I felt that a vase I made needed more embellishment.  I put the underglaze on top of the already glaze fired piece.  Then I refired at glaze temp.  The UG was fine, just flat and rather hard.  No photos, sorry.  

Roberta

On 7/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, BlueChihuahuas said:

I used designer liner as the black and white opal over it - but it ran really bad and muted all the detail.

If the Designer Liner moved under the glaze(s) I would put this down as being from the glaze being too fluid and pulling the Designer Liner. Underglazes can move under fluid glazes also. If you have a less fluid glaze it might work, other thing you could try would be the Amaco Stroke & Coat overtop of the glaze. It doesn't need a covering glaze, the Tuxedo black stays black at cone 6. 

Archived