Hi there! 

I was wondering if anyone knows what the composition of Audrey Blackman porcelain is? I've searched high and low and the only info I got was that it contains quartz. I sell ceramics on a very small scale and someone is enquiring if my work vegan and I have no idea!! 

2 minutes ago, Shp123 said:

Hi there! 

I was wondering if anyone knows what the composition of Audrey Blackman porcelain is? I've searched high and low and the only info I got was that it contains quartz. I sell ceramics on a very small scale and someone is enquiring if my work vegan and I have no idea!! 

All ceramic work is vegan, even bone china uses synthetic bone ash now :)

but porcelain is generally kaolin, Feldspar (or nephyline syenite) and silica with a touch of bentonite or macloid

Edited by liambesaw
1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

All ceramic work is vegan, even bone china uses synthetic bone ash now :)

but porcelain is generally kaolin, Feldspar (or nephyline syenite) and silica with a touch of bentonite or macloid

That's wonderful thank you so much for your help :) I assume that glazes and underglazes are also vegan? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be 

8 minutes ago, Shp123 said:

That's wonderful thank you so much for your help :) I assume that glazes and underglazes are also vegan? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be 

Yep, even the waxes we use are petroleum byproducts so also vegan.  Unless you opt to use beeswax, but I don't know why you would.

CMC gum is a byproduct of paper making I believe, so vegan

3 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Yep, even the waxes we use are petroleum byproducts so also vegan.  Unless you opt to use beeswax, but I don't know why you would.

CMC gum is a byproduct of paper making I believe, so vegan

That so good to hear! I had a bit of a panic when I thought I might have using porcelain that contained bone. Thanks very much for your help :)

2 minutes ago, Shp123 said:

That so good to hear! I had a bit of a panic when I thought I might have using porcelain that contained bone. Thanks very much for your help :)

Well unless you're slipcasting you wouldn't have any real or synthetic bone in it, bone china is more of an industrial slipware or jolly/jigger thing.  But either way you're good to go haha

30 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Well unless you're slipcasting you wouldn't have any real or synthetic bone in it, bone china is more of an industrial slipware or jolly/jigger thing.  But either way you're good to go haha

Awesome! I haven't progressed enough in the craft yet for slipcasting haha! Thanks again :)