Sign in to follow this  
Smokey2

Pottery Sale Tent?

Inspired by local farm stands and flower tents I'm considering trying something like this. Has anyone tried this?

I have a good location to setup and need to buy a pop-up canopy and thinking one or two weekends in the fall

Yes I have sold pots on my own when I was younger in varios spots .That was the 70's and 80's. Put the booth up on a busy vacent lot (like a modern pop up event only solo) sold a few hours and was gone.These days the local authorites may ask if you have the right permits or maybe in covid times NOT. Having the propery owners approval  is also good.

Edited by Mark C.

@Mark C. is spot on.  If you have a good location, go for it.  And yes, depending on your area, you may need permits, proof of sales tax license, etc.  But check that out. I live in a rural subdivision and our neighbors are selling produce on Thursdays at the end of their driveway.  I think I will set up my canopy at the end of my driveway as well.  Lots of people are used to running around for yard sales, etc.  We shall see what happens!

Roberta

I have permission to use an area on a busy road with plenty of room for parking. I've had a sales tax license for thirty years. The fruit stand guy says he doesn't need a permit but I'll check with the zoning officer JIC.

I'm going to get some banners made that reads "Pottery Sale This Weekend" and set them up on a Monday morning. I should check if I need  a sign license as well.

46 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

I think I will set up my canopy at the end of my driveway

Go for it and let us know how it works out.

The more folks you ask if you need the more you will find they need. The property owner gave you a thumbs up the tax permit is in hand-I would set up and see what happens-the rest will fall into place if needed. In these times at least in our state most places are not very open. Most permits are all online now-that place is close to the public. Since I do not know your location maybe they are all open and booming. ?? Be safe either way business wise.

I'd love to do this, I work on a busy highway and could set up on the weekends, however right now we can't even have a booth at a farmers market here in our state (food and flowers only) so I'm gonna have to wait.  Could be a fun way to blow a few summer weekends.

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

(food and flowers only)

Make pottery flowers.

Sell tiny (really really tiny) portions of food with a free plate/bowl/dish/mug.

8 hours ago, Chilly said:

Make pottery flowers.

Sell tiny (really really tiny) portions of food with a free plate/bowl/dish/mug.

People tried that, but the only thing you can sell is food and flowers.  I'm not heartbroken over it, farmers markets are usually pretty boring and slow

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:
9 hours ago, Chilly said:

Make pottery flowers.

People tried that, but the only thing you can sell is food and flowers.  I'm not heartbroken over it, farmers markets are usually pretty boring and slow

Sell coffee for 10¢ with a purchase of a ceramic mug. Or maybe even Iced Tea

15 hours ago, Mark C. said:

The more folks you ask if you need the more you will find they need. The property owner gave you a thumbs up the tax permit is in hand-I would set up and see what happens-the rest will fall into place if needed.

Good point

13 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Secure your tent! Use either weights at each corner- at least 40 pounds each- or stake it down. It doesn't take much wind to pick up a popup and toss it.

Yes indeed.

Edited by Smokey2

Speaking of pop up canopies, I need to buy a couple.  Primarily for camping.  The 2 that I have are no longer water tight at all.  One is screen sides for bug proof lazing and the other has solid sides.  Well, it did before the bear ripped it up.

Anyone research these and know what to look for?  They vary in price a lot.

5 hours ago, CactusPots said:

Speaking of pop up canopies, I need to buy a couple.  Primarily for camping.  The 2 that I have are no longer water tight at all.  One is screen sides for bug proof lazing and the other has solid sides.  Well, it did before the bear ripped it up.

Anyone research these and know what to look for?  They vary in price a lot.

Most are not water tight. They are water resistant, but for true water-tightness you need canvas that has been coated. Most anything under $600 isn't going to be water tight. However, you can treat them with tent waterproofing, which will do a pretty good job. You have to reapply it regularly, though. If you're just looking for something light and easy for camping, just about anything will work, because once you tie them down from the top corners and stake the feet they're quite stable unless you get really heavy wind and/or rain. I'm a big fan of Caravan Canopies for lightweight canopies. I'm not a fan of the EZ-Up brand. There are a million other brands out there, though. If you're looking for something that's truly strong and waterproof  in a popup canopy, then I recommend the Instant Promotions Pro Expo. It'll be about $700 with sidewalls, but it's super beefy- 2" hex legs, all aluminum fittings, and waterproof coated canvas. It's what I use for art fairs. It's heavy, though. You don't want to carry it very far.

15 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I'm not a fan of the EZ-Up brand. . . . .  I recommend the Instant Promotions Pro Expo.

I'm glad you pointed this out, I was just on my least favorite online store to get an idea of prices and they are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the brand you recommend.  I get the idea of "You Get What You Pay For." Is there really that big a difference?

I can rent a 10x15 canopy and have it setup for around $100, I may go that route for now to see how the show goes.

Which brings to mind, any suggestions on size when I'm ready to buy? Most shows I've seen looks like a 10x10 is most common.

32 minutes ago, Smokey2 said:

I'm glad you pointed this out, I was just on my least favorite online store to get an idea of prices and they are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the brand you recommend.  I get the idea of "You Get What You Pay For." Is there really that big a difference?

The difference in the really cheap ones is that the legs are smaller diameter and thinner metal, and the fittings at all the corners are weaker. I see more EZ-Up go down at shows than other brands of popups.

There is also a difference in construction between really cheap canopies and others. On really bad ones, the framing  in the top is made of numerous small X pieces, and the cross framing goes from the corners to the center. It's a very weak design. The better ones have two X pieces that make up each side, and the cross X pieces go from the center of each side to the middle, not from the corners. Some companies make both types, so do your research. This photo is the good type:

Canopy 1.jpg

Like I said, if you're just looking for something to put up while the weather is good at the beach or camping, you can get away with just about anything if you strap the top corners and stake the feet. But if you're going to use it at an event where you'll have to keep it up regardless of the weather- art fair, farmer's market, etc- then invest in something good.

The steel ones weigh a ton . I like the aluminum ones. When I was 30 it did not matter. Now it does. The weights are what weighs it down. I gave away my steel ones. I have 3 aluminum ones now. What ever one you get if your are a full time get a good quality one-they cost a lot more than the cheaper junk ones. For camping it may not matter as much.

Edited by Mark C.

I had to report in on my Socially Distant Driveway Pottery Sale.  It was terrific!  My goal was to move  a large number of random pieces in order to clear shelf space for new work.  I achieved that goal with great success.  I posted the sale on my business FB page, sent out some emails, and made signs for the highway, and our rural county roads, set up my canopy (yes with weights...I live in a very windy part of Colorado) and went for it.  I might have 10 small pieces left!!  I could not believe the turnout!  I offered 10% discount for mask wearers (I live in an area where that is not enforced or encouraged) And of all the many shoppers  yesterday, only 2 did not wear masks.  It was great!!  I had the hand sanitizer on 2 tables, and I wiped down pots with wipes after each group left.  This sale was successful enough that I may try it with new work in September or October if the weather is nice.    @gep has inspired me to think outside the ol' craft show box!

Roberta

9 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Awesome!  Now I wanna try it!  Hardest part would be getting the word out, I don't live near any busy roads

I live a mile off Highway 40, but I am 7 miles from our little burg.  While I do not spend a lot of time on social media, most of my local shoppers check in on FB ( I have a page just for my business).  That is my most successful marketing for locals.  I also posted an ad on the local board for sales.  Truly @liambesaw I think people are ready for some safe, normal, activity.  If they came in groups, they were family groups or friends who had been in each other's bubble for the last few months.  Maybe find the ways that people access local information and go that direction?  Not only did I move some older inventory, there was no booth fee, my sales tax is lower here at my house than in town, advertising was free, I was able to safely visit with customers, and I made some $$.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, Roberta12 said:

I offered 10% discount for mask wearers

Do yourself & everyone else a favor and provide free masks to those who show up without one---my H.S. classmate is dying of it now, and has no idea where she picked it up-she was extremely careful.  Not worth the risk of exposure-make it required for your space, your health. Can't leave it to gov't officials to do it, and you have the right to require masks on your own property. 

Signs are your friends-use the fluorescent thick cardboard in super bright green or orange-the ones your eye cannot turn away from

I have used these for about 45 years now.

They pop and post them high on whatever poles you can in the best spots

mine always are simple stenciled with (Pottery Sale outside Arca a Pet store) or my home loction back in the day when I did that.

either with arrow  or location very brief. I did studio sales 3 time a year for 19 years with signs as well.

The bright signs re the KEY the sme colors as bike riders neon green Jackets are best

I have a set I use every year for my xmas sale in town.I'm known for these eue poping signs-I ran an newspaper ad after 40 years with a photo of just a sign as they are well known.

Edited by Mark C.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, Roberta12 said:

I live a mile off Highway 40, but I am 7 miles from our little burg.  While I do not spend a lot of time on social media, most of my local shoppers check in on FB ( I have a page just for my business).  That is my most successful marketing for locals.  I also posted an ad on the local board for sales.  Truly @liambesaw I think people are ready for some safe, normal, activity.  If they came in groups, they were family groups or friends who had been in each other's bubble for the last few months.  Maybe find the ways that people access local information and go that direction?  Not only did I move some older inventory, there was no booth fee, my sales tax is lower here at my house than in town, advertising was free, I was able to safely visit with customers, and I made some $$.

All upside as you found out. I love my local sale at xmas for just these same reasons -I do pay a 200$ flat fee for how many weeks I choose.

I offered 10% discount for mask wearers

Did you have to deal with people that wore masks as a chin or neck guard instead of covering their nose and mouth? If so how did you deal with it?

I might have 10 small pieces left!

Congrats!

3 minutes ago, Smokey2 said:

Did you have to deal with people that wore masks as a chin or neck guard instead of covering their nose and mouth? If so how did you deal with it?

Congrats!

@Smokey2  I did not.  They were all wearing the masks properly.  As I said earlier, in this county, there is a large contingent that feels that mask wearing is not necessary.  I cannot change their mind on that.  I just stood way far away from the 2 or 3 unmasked.  And I also wore gloves to take cash (this is also a cash area) I wore gloves and sanitized everything while making up my deposit.  

11 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Signs are your friends-use the fluorescent thick cardboard in super bright green or orange-the ones your eye cannot turn away from

I have used these for about 45 years now.

They pop and post thgem high on poles 

mine always are simple stenciled with (Pottery Sale outside Arca a Pet store) or my home loction back in the day when I did that.

either with arrow  or location very brief. I did studio sales 3 time a year for 19 years with signs as well.

The bright signs re the KEY the sme colors as bike riders neon green Jackets are best

I have a set I use every year for my xmas sale in town.I'm known for these eue poping signs-I ran an newspaper ad after 40 years with a photo of just a sign as they are well known.

I used Neon Green.  you are absolutely correct @Mark C.  It popped.  

13 hours ago, LeeU said:

Do yourself & everyone else a favor and provide free masks to those who show up without one---my H.S. classmate is dying of it now, and has no idea where she picked it up-she was extremely careful.  Not worth the risk of exposure-make it required for your space, your health. Can't leave it to gov't officials to do it, and you have the right to require masks on your own property. 

That is an excellent idea @LeeU   I will do that at the next sale.  I am sorry to hear about your friend.  Unfortunately, this is happening everywhere.  Thoughts going to her.