Calcine

Do you typically just fill a covered bisqued or green jar of some type  with EPK and include it in a bisque fire to calcine?  I recall trying it uncovered once and having the EPK all over the kiln.?

Alumina oxide is just calcined alumina hydrate, right?  The purpose of the calcining  EPK is to eliminate shrinkage?  Does alumina have a shrinkage factor as well?

Just put the EPK in a bowl. I've never had it blow around, but if you've got a strong draft in the kiln you could just put a plate or small kiln shelf on the bowl as a lid. You calcine kaolin so that it doesn't shrink in whatever application you're using it in- glaze or kiln wash. Alumina hydrate calcines to  alumina oxide, but I've never heard of shrinkage being an issue with alumina. Hydrate is cheaper, so we tend to use it rather than oxide.

7 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

I just put it in a bowl in the bisque fire.  I never thought to put something on top of the bowl.  So far, I haven't had any problems.

Roberta

I think he fires in a gas kiln, so might be some blowing around.  Calcined epk is so fluffy and light I could see it blowing everywhere.

I have a few slip recipes and my kiln wash that needs calcined epk, I almost always forget to add it to the kiln haha

6 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

I think he fires in a gas kiln, so might be some blowing around.  Calcined epk is so fluffy and light I could see it blowing everywhere.

I have a few slip recipes and my kiln wash that needs calcined epk, I almost always forget to add it to the kiln haha

Been firing it in all types of gas kilns-blowers -natural draft-it stays put unless its in the blower pathway.

Just used the rest of mine this weekend.  I have a crackle slip recipe that crackles too much on my clay so I substitute a quarter of the epk for calcined.  My buddy was t-boned by a kia on his motorcycle and had his leg shattered, so I made a life size tibia and poured crackle slip on it.  I hope it comes out well!

Now let's take bets on how many times I forget to put a bowl full of epk into my next few bisque firings.

47 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

My bisque is all in a electric kiln, but at one time, a calcine effort caused a mess.  I don't remember what I was calcining if it wasn't EPK.  I had the idea that burning off organics would cause gas "burps" that blew the powder out.

14% LOI, don't think it would burp much though, maybe if it was in a tall skinny container

gw6FJMQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Benzine said:

@liambesaw Crackle slip on a life-sized tibia...  

I think that's hilarious, I hope he did too!

He's got a good sense of humor, he will love it.  It's still drying so we will see in the next week or two. I'm also breaking it and bolting it together like his tibia currently is.

1 hour ago, CactusPots said:

That's a trophy xray.  He'll want that blown up to poster size, I'm sure.  He won't need the poster to remember it when he's 60 though.

He's almost 50 now so you're right.  Doctor said he'll likely be permanently disabled.  Thought I'd make him a present to commemorate his new parking placard.

32 minutes ago, Benzine said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of the X-rays showing; bolts, pins, screws, plates, etc look like a DIYer's attempt at reinforcing/ fixing part of their home?

I have no expertise here, but even as a DIYer, it doesn't seem like the parts line up correctly.  

1 hour ago, Benzine said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of the X-rays showing; bolts, pins, screws, plates, etc look like a DIYer's attempt at reinforcing/ fixing part of their home?

Yeah, me too. They should have used paperclay.

One of my screws came loose (haha, yeah) about three months after the install; removal of the plate and six screws (ulna, just below th' elbow) was about as painful as the initial recovery. Even so, was glad to be rid of the hardware, and more so now (almost forty years later). Dislocation at the elbow was a more severe injury than the multiple ulna breaks. I'm lucky to still have full use and range of motion, plus low pressure front (weather) detection.

For the plate removal, the ortho team used sodium pentothal to put me out. As I came to, there was someone in the recovery room talkin' a crazy line of s - the room was packed with staff, all laughing; whenever "I" said anything, the crazy guy stopped talking. As my vision cleared up, someone said, "Show's over."

Even then, I wondered if there really was just one "me" in there. It's a useful, if over simplified notion.

1 hour ago, Benzine said:

There's a lot of muscle and stuff in there that is normally under tension and they can't cut it to put the plate in.  The thing that worried me the most about his x-ray is that like 4 of them screws is poking all the way through!  Looks painful!

Oh and they didnt get to the fibula because they "ran out of time" but "it should just kind of find its way together".  Yeah I'd be asking for my money back if that were me, but he's just happy they did anything at all.

38 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

There's a lot of muscle and stuff in there that is normally under tension and they can't cut it to put the plate in.  The thing that worried me the most about his x-ray is that like 4 of them screws is poking all the way through!  Looks painful!

Oh and they didnt get to the fibula because they "ran out of time" but "it should just kind of find its way together".  Yeah I'd be asking for my money back if that were me, but he's just happy they did anything at all.

I wonder if bone will grow over those screw ends. Otherwise, yeah, it seems like they would poke and tear on the muscle. The other bone will likely come together, but it would be nice if they lined up better.

My wife is a veterinarian, and they have a saying about kittens, who have miraculous bone healing skills- "If you put two kitten bones in the same room, they'll grow together."

4 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing, about the protruding screws. 

2 hours ago, Babs said:

Is that a bit of fibula floating in the background.

Ran out of time...lucky it wasn't heart surgery.....

Not sure it will survive the firing.

There's actually a chunk of the tibia and fibula floating around, he says he can hear/feel them clicking when he moves his leg.  Of course bone grows back/over but that doesn't mean it's gonna feel good when it's grown back heh.  The whole thing just reinforced my person beliefs about motorcycle riding

Archived