Electric kiln causing lights to flicker

Nini

Hi folks, I recently installed a Nabertherm Top 80 in my home studio. It's a single phase 24amp 230v 5.5kw top loader compatible with standard European voltage and made for 'home use'.

I did a test run and the kiln seems to work fine, it got up to temperature without any issues. However, it is causing the lights to flicker throughout the house, which I take as a symptom of something not so good going on. So I am trying to understand what exactly is happening.

Admittedly I have a very limited understanding of electricity, but I imagine it's the relays going on/off that's messing with the lights. There is no flickering while it's running at full power, only during the first segment while it's slowly getting to temperature, and then again during the last 50 degrees.  Does that sound like a reasonable explanation, or could it be something else?  Has anyone had this issue?

And finally... what to do? Someone suggested that the kiln will continue to interfere with other appliances unless it is completely isolated on its own line. This does make sense, but before I take ant further actions I am still hoping to gather more advice from people knowledgable on electric kilns.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Is the kiln on its own circuit? Did an electrician do the wiring for it?

Hi Neil. Yes I did have an electrician in, but it's not on its own circuit. So I imagine there lies the problem.... I'm just wondering if there's any options other than cutting my losses on the current wiring, and running a new cable directly from the power box 

The kiln needs to be on its own circuit. You'll need new wiring from the box to the kiln, nothing else on that line. I don't know where you're located, but here in the US that's required by code. If your electrician hooked it up on a shared circuit and shouldn't have, then I'd find a new electrician. It should be on a 30 amp circuit.

7 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

The kiln needs to be on its own circuit. You'll need new wiring from the box to the kiln, nothing else on that line. I don't know where you're located, but here in the US that's required by code. If your electrician hooked it up on a shared circuit and shouldn't have, then I'd find a new electrician. It should be on a 30 amp circuit.

Thanks a lot Neil. That settles that then.

I'm in the backwoods of the former Soviet Union, so as far as codes and things go it's pretty much the wild west out here.... 

9 minutes ago, Nini said:

Thanks a lot Neil. That settles that then.

I'm in the backwoods of the former Soviet Union, so as far as codes and things go it's pretty much the wild west out here.... 

30 amp dedicated circuit, 10 gauge wire or larger (larger if the run is long and you've got a voltage drop). If it's in the budget and doable, put a fused disconnect box above the outlet.

Archived