Pacifica GT400 torque and whine

Cderep

Hello again! So, my wife has started making pots with me since I bought my first Pacifica a few months ago, which has been great for our relationship, but clay dates aren’t as fun with one wheel. Introducing: second Pacifica GT 400! This new wheel has me worried. With the first one, at low speeds I can grab the wheel and it nearly rips my arm off, but the second  one is relatively easy to stop. Also, the second one's motor makes a higher pitched whining sound. At first, I chalked it up to the fact that the two wheels have differently branded motors, but upon closer observations, they are the same just with different markings. If anyone could explain or maybe give suggestions for a fix, I’d greatly appreciate it. A quick video of the two wheels is below:

No, both are used. Wheel one is about 10 years old but had never been used, as the person it was bought for passed away before even taking it out of the wrap. Wheel two appears to be older maybe? Based off the serial number and that there’s no UL mark on it, and it was used pretty often by the previous owner before he passed away last August- from what his son in law told me. They weren’t sure how long he had it.

I'm concerned the Motor is going bad and the whining high pitch is a symptom, but that sort of thing isn’t my forte. I’ll definitely check the belts though- thanks!

Edited by Cderep

Sounds like the wheel 2 has a flat spot on belt -thats the clicking noise. Also sound a bit worn comepared to wheel 1.

I'm not a Pacifica fan they are suppoosed to be super quiet-but they are not as yours both show .

Use it till it dies. There has been a rash of some Pacifioca wheel issues lately .Sounds like you to are now a club member.

Tip the wheel up and pull off the bottom cover.  It's only 4 screws and some spacers.  You will either have 4 O ring type belts or a V belt.  Check and make sure the pulleys match.  Mine didn't!  If the belt(s) show any wear or cracking, that's the problem.

I'm a big fan of the Pacifica wheels.  Although I don't have a lot of experience with the other name brands, Brent, Shimpo, etc, I feel the pedal's control is the defining feature of any wheel.  The Pacifica I have is really excellent in this way.

When I listened to the squeal in the video, it sounded like a bearing to me.  That reminded me that I did in fact replace the bearings in my Pacifica GT400.  They were not sealed bearings, so I was able to do an upgrade by sourcing matching size sealed bearings from a bearing supply.  

I hadn’t considered bearings as the culprit; I was thinking worn down brushes or something in the motor itself, but I’d guess the bearings are the cheaper fix, and I’d like to work my way up rather than paying for the motor to be refurbished or something but still having the same problems potentially.

My Pacifica gt500 sounded like that, never did get it to be quite. Mine also needed bearings, standard type available at a good auto shop. They come apart without much difficulty, just look for all the allen screws on the shafts and head. The head will be the hardest to remove, make sure you get the the allen screws out, think there was 2 on the head( cant remember ) I like Blaster spray can penetrating oil to get stuck parts lubed to remove.

Edited by ronfire