Long story here.

So, I had a dream involving these utterly and purposefully impractical “engagement mugs”. When I woke up, I did research and found that they did in fact exist, and they were made by a Greek artist known as “The Uncomfortable” on Facebook. I attached an image of a 3D render of said mugs from the artist’s page. Most of her work is just 3D renders, but these mugs were actually physically made by a friend of hers who is a potter, so the artist herself doesn’t know how they were made, other than that it was very difficult.

So, I told my girlfriend about the mugs, and she thought it was a HYSTERICAL idea. Anyways, I’m wanting to plan ahead and have these at the ready for when the time comes. The caveat with this is that I have to be able to make these in absolute secrecy in order to surprise her. If I end up buying any equipment that’s specifically for pottery, she’ll know EXACTLY what I’m up to.

Outside from what I learned through school and what I was taught by my late grandmother, who was an art teacher, I don’t really know anything about pottery, so please talk to me as if I’m 5. I do know that the biggest barrier here is to make it so the handles don’t fuse together.

How can I make these myself, and make them to last, without her knowing?

And in case it’s relevant, I’m located in Rochester Minnesota.

7C77E98F-58DB-41F5-98A9-D809B83796AD.jpeg

Edited by IHaveToKeepThisQuiet
I got the image to work, so I removed unnecessary text

As a complete newbie your biggest challenge will be everything.  Unfortunately this isn't a project that will be simple to do, even if the handles weren't connected.  

Have you made mugs before? Do you have access to a kiln?  These are the bigger questions!  I would find a local ceramic studio and see if you can take a course to make these.  That way you don't have to worry about buying a bunch of equipment and glazes and such, or worry about firing.

Just now, liambesaw said:

As a complete newbie your biggest challenge will be everything.  Unfortunately this isn't a project that will be simple to do, even if the handles weren't connected.  

Have you made mugs before? Do you have access to a kiln?  These are the bigger questions!  I would find a local ceramic studio and see if you can take a course to make these.  That way you don't have to worry about buying a bunch of equipment and glazes and such, or worry about firing.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I know everything’s gonna be a huge struggle for me lol. It’s just that the handles seem to be the nastiest challenge from what I know.

Mugs, no. And access to a kiln is something I haven’t figured out yet, though I have looked into it. I deeply appreciate your advice about the local ceramic studio. And I definitely didn’t think about the fact that I should not have glazes myself. If I had some glazes sitting around at home, I’d be screwed, as those would be a dead giveaway as to the fact that I’m working on this lol.

If you need them at some point in the next few months, I second Mark and think you should find a potter in your area to do them for you. It doesn’t look too complicated to make, just a bit fussy to glaze, but I’ve been making pots a long time.  Starting from ground zero, it takes a few weeks to get even basic forms to a point where you’re happy with them, and getting super clean lines like these definitely takes some practice.

That said, if you’re the kid who loves a challenge though, we get that a lot here and  we can walk you through it. And making a piece like this yourself definitely would carry a lot of meaning for both of you. 

Another option might be to find a paint your own pottery place that does their own slip casting. You’ll want to ask if they have a mug mould that has a separate handle, and then show them this image. There might be a bit of an extra charge, but people love a romantic story.  If you go that direction, all you need is an alibi for when you go do the decorating. They’ll take care of the firing and construction. 

19 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

If you need them at some point in the next few months, I second Mark and think you should find a potter in your area to do them for you. It doesn’t look too complicated to make, just a bit fussy to glaze, but I’ve been making pots a long time.  Starting from ground zero, it takes a few weeks to get even basic forms to a point where you’re happy with them, and getting super clean lines like these definitely takes some practice.

That said, if you’re the kid who loves a challenge though, we get that a lot here and  we can walk you through it. And making a piece like this yourself definitely would carry a lot of meaning for both of you. 

Another option might be to find a paint your own pottery place that does their own slip casting. You’ll want to ask if they have a mug mould that has a separate handle, and then show them this image. There might be a bit of an extra charge, but people love a romantic story.  If you go that direction, all you need is an alibi for when you go do the decorating. They’ll take care of the firing and construction. 

I want a challenge. I tend to be an intellectual masochist. And I definitely, DEFINITELY want to make it myself.

The slip casting thing would make a really good compromise if I can’t do it up to my own standards.

I can come up with an alibi with ease if I do other things while I’m out and about. She knows that I can’t lie directly, but can lie by omission. As long as I don’t do something stupid like open Snapchat while I’m there and therefore potentially give away my location, and as long as I’m not asked the wrong questions, I can get away with this.

Maybe I could do some form of a pre sculpted handle or something like that, and do the rest myself?

Marriage is essentially a state of entwinement,  being voluntarily shackled together in a state of symbiotic mutualality.  Using the architect's design (Katerina Kamprani) to do a knock-off of her piece as a symbolic representation is  sweet, however have you considered not trying to attain the pristine refinement Kamprani's rendering and instead creating something that is truly your own? You could take the essence of the idea--entwinement/joined together--get yourself some good quality air-dried clay, learn how to construct mugs  (yep-YouTube is fine place to start)  and do your best. It would be directly from your heart & hands, warts and all--and be assured that marriage is a warts & all kind of thing. Other than that, I concur that the only realistic solution is to have it made. 

If you want to make them yourself then this is exactly what I would do:

1. Call around local pottery places that have lessons/teaching.
2. Tell them you only want to learn to throw a mug and nothing else in the most kind way possible as not to insult them, and that you have a final project in mind for your wedding. I would just have the handle extruded, this is plenty good and will make them match a lot better than learning to pull a handle on top of this project.
3. After learning to throw a mug well enough to make you happy, show them this picture and then move into glazing.
4. Make like 5 sets of these and then keep only the best one, hammer the rest and thank the teacher profusely. 

Edited by Joseph Fireborn
1 hour ago, LeeU said:

get yourself some good quality air-dried clay,

I like this idea a lot. OP could aim to make an item that is meant for display on a shelf, rather than one that is food safe and functional. Meant to express love, rather than expertise. 

The idea of someone making me drink coffee from a mug that is entwined with another mug that is also full of coffee makes marriage seem like a questionable idea :-). But if it was a metaphor displayed on a shelf, that actually makes more sense. 

Yes I get the idea part -the mugs are non functional in nature-just the idea of the joining. That all fine but with zero clay experience a moon shot would be easier.

I thnk making them with play dough would get the idea across.Yes play dough-or the air dried clay-either way its material that is forgiving and a process that fits his skill level as a 5 year old.

The idea of love and hiching is there in this material -its the same with any material .

The part that may be harder to get at is (intellectual masochist)

Luckily this project doesn't require a whole lot of intellect, just skill! 

Unfortunately skill can't be thought out, and just requires hard work and boring repetition.  

Fortunately, you aren't even engaged yet so you have plenty of time to practice!  Take lessons, maybe even together, and do it on the side.  Just be warned that learning pottery isnt something that you do on a lark, it takes hard work.  If you don't think you can put in many (hundreds) hours of work, I would just hire someone who has already gone through the whole skill-building process and does this as a job.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:39 PM, LeeU said:

Marriage is essentially a state of entwinement,  being voluntarily shackled together in a state of symbiotic mutualality.  

Yes and two" mugs" joined by the handles, non functional to boot , yeh seen many of them. On display forever hmmm.....

@IHaveToKeepThisQuietA great number of fine mugs can be made using slab work and paper covered cylinders...

Handles made by rolling coils flat and impressed design can be great.

Use clay, have a go and experience where many of the  comments are arising from.

The simple looking designs can be the most difficult to acheive. Can take a life time to reach.

But you may be born to make perfect pots first up, won't know till you try.

Or let her in on it and both make mugs till they match........ you ok with her being better at this???Taught a couple. Lady took off like a downhill slalom champ. He, the perfect first time thinker, was left still trying to get his pants just right..

Edited by Babs
Additional info

Not difficult.  Put on a piece of kiln shelf before you start and just brush them.  To me the hard part is making two of the same mug and having them not die through the firings.  Guess they're non-functional anyway, but yeah, for a beginner.... Woof.

4 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Not difficult.  Put on a piece of kiln shelf before you start and just brush them.  To me the hard part is making two of the same mug and having them not die through the firings.  Guess they're non-functional anyway, 

Underglaze to color, and bisque -  spray and brush clear on them thoroughly - functional! ......... sort of.........

Edited by Bill Kielb