Hi ...... Have been working on a porcelain hand built box I now just have to attach the top piece But whilst working the piece has shrunk considerably Not sure how to continue Do I cut the top piece to fit the shrinkage Or leave as is and then sand down Thank you Nicky 

6 minutes ago, Nicky S said:

Hi ...... Have been working on a porcelain hand built box I now just have to attach the top piece But whilst working the piece has shrunk considerably Not sure how to continue Do I cut the top piece to fit the shrinkage Or leave as is and then sand down Thank you Nicky 

Pictures for sure would help here.. Are they fired? Bisque, glaze, both green.  Is the bottom dry and too green? Firm attachment, hinge .......? Not sure I fully understand.

Edited by Bill Kielb
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Pictures for sure would help here.. Are they fired? Bisque, glaze, both green.  Is the bottom dry and too green? Firm attachment, hinge .......? Not sure I fully understand.

@Bill KielbNo not fired .At leatherhard  / dry stage . I have  attached all sides apart from the last top piece ,which has not shrunk. Now the surface overlaps,
Wondering if I should cut it now to fit or sand down when  attached Or other option

Edited by Nicky S
1 hour ago, Nicky S said:
Wondering if I should cut it now to fit or sand down when  attached Or other option

If the bottom has changed size due to drying then eventually the top will match when it gets to the same moisture level so the issue appears to be the bottom has dried too much. That would be assuming you have cut all parts at the same time to their proper size. I guess without knowing the piece or any picture of it, you could always attach  with an overlap and sand the edges flush after it has all dried throughly.

Edited by Bill Kielb
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

If the bottom has changed size due to drying then eventually the top will match when it gets to the same moisture level so the issue appears to be the bottom has dried too much. That would be assuming you have cut all parts at the same time to their proper size. I guess without knowing the piece or any picture of it, you could always attach  with an overlap and sand the edges flush after it has all dried throughly.

@Bill KielbYes that’s exactly what happened I had cut all the pieces at the same time and size What do you mean by “ flush “ ? 

Edited by Nicky S

Sand it to its proper intended size. Since I do not know what the piece looks like I don’t have a sense if this top should overhang, have a reveal or be smooth and the same size (Flush) with the sides. The worry is the bottom has dried too much to make for a good attachment as we know very likely the top will shrink as much while it dries so seaming them together at this point will place a lot of stress in the top joints. Again, not knowing what this is is hard to speculate. Will this be a lift off top with some sort of gallery to sit in, can it be? A picture would really get some better ideas for you here.

Edited by Bill Kielb
2 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Sand it to its proper intended size. Since I do not know what the piece looks like I don’t have a sense if this top should overhang, have a reveal or be smooth and the same size (Flush) with the sides. The worry is the bottom has dried too much to make for a good attachment as we know very likely the top will shrink as much while it dries so seaming them together at this point will place a lot of stress in the top joints. Again, not knowing what this is is hard to speculate. Will this be a lift off top with some sort of gallery to sit in, can it be? A picture would really get some better ideas for you here.

@Bill Kielb It’s just a hollow box ..... so all sides are sealed .Which means last piece needs to be same size as the rest (  unfortunately my phone camera is broken ) But thank you for ALL your help  Much appreciated Mayb I’ll just try and “ flush “ it :-)

Although we'd like lids to shrink the same as their matching vessels, sometimes they do not, perhaps due to thickness and shape/curve differences, and that they were "worked" differently.

I've had some luck measuring the opening (which I have to write down, else, me forget!), and from there always make an extra lid, or two...

In one of his videos, Bill Van Gilder recommends standard lid sizes, and make extras - both tips have been helpful to me - when one lids fits and looks better; when "oops" crash; when a friend or customer asks for a new lid, having had their own oops...

11 hours ago, Nicky S said:

I dont think possible to join the top piece now without piece cracking as the top dries.

It pays to cover cut out pieces with plastic or slightly damp towel when assembling pieces in warm weather.

I'd leave the box topless, possibly using magic water or spooze,  attach a coil on underside of " top" to make it a lid instead....

11 hours ago, Babs said:

I dont think possible to join the top piece now without piece cracking as the top dries.

It pays to cover cut out pieces with plastic or slightly damp towel when assembling pieces in warm weather.

I'd leave the box topless, possibly using magic water or spooze,  attach a coil on underside of " top" to make it a lid instead....

@Babs Hi ....., thank you :-)Normally  that’s what I do it ....... but this time just seemed to dry so quickly If it were to crack would it be in drying or would crack also when bisque fired ?

Prob both i.e. could have invisible or tiny cracks pre bisque which become obvious and widen during bisque and even more elaborate after glazing.

Test it to find out how your clay body reacts to this.

Or

Could fire it in situ unjoined if certain was correct size  initially then join post firing

Edited by Babs