Best Clay Slip for Planter Pots

Hi, I am new to slip casting. So far I have been using ceramic slip, but would be interested in trying other materials. Here are my questions. I appreciate your help.

Besides ceramic slip, what other types (stoneware etc) that works with casting molds and more delicate designs?

Do I only have to use Cone 6 or will cone 4 work as well?

Can I glaze and paint Terracotta?

Thank you!

Depends on if they're indoor or outdoor.  For outdoor you want a clay that vitrifies with close to zero absorption.  This will help stop it from breaking when it freezes.  I like this kind because I can use it indoors or outdoors any time of year and don't have to worry.  Terra cotta is very weak and absorbs water so it's great for roots, but will die in the cold.

15 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Depends on if they're indoor or outdoor.  For outdoor you want a clay that vitrifies with close to zero absorption.  This will help stop it from breaking when it freezes.  I like this kind because I can use it indoors or outdoors any time of year and don't have to worry.  Terra cotta is very weak and absorbs water so it's great for roots, but will die in the cold.

Thank you for your response. For that type of clay slip casting, which would you use? Aka does stoneware work, or just proclean. I want these to work indoors mostly, but also outdoors. Does the Cone matter?

thanks

claymanny,   the cone is the most important consideration.

what is the exact meaning of your second sentence, to you, what is ceramic slip and what sort of "other materials" are you thinking of?

plaster molds can be used to form finished ceramic products whether they are made of earthenware, (terracotta is one), stoneware or porcelain.   the mold is filled with slip of whatever type you want to use.   the kiln is the final defining factor.   what temperature, cone, do you want to use and is your kiln able to produce that cone without straining?  once you have that decided, your search for a proper slip that will provide the strength you want is the next step.  

you really need to know a lot of information to make this decision.   where are you getting your basic information, a class, books, you tube, something else?

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

claymanny,   the cone is the most important consideration.

what is the exact meaning of your second sentence, to you, what is ceramic slip and what sort of "other materials" are you thinking of?

plaster molds can be used to form finished ceramic products whether they are made of earthenware, (terracotta is one), stoneware or porcelain.   the mold is filled with slip of whatever type you want to use.   the kiln is the final defining factor.   what temperature, cone, do you want to use and is your kiln able to produce that cone without straining?  once you have that decided, your search for a proper slip that will provide the strength you want is the next step.  

you really need to know a lot of information to make this decision.   where are you getting your basic information, a class, books, you tube, something else?

Hi, I am getting my information from Youtube and this forum. I have a store that can sell me cone 6 white porcelain slip which I use now, but also has white stoneware slip at cone 6 for half the price. I intent to use these to make planters for indoor plants. I am outsourcing my kiln and they can do cone 6 no problem. I am just unsure if the detail and strength of stoneware is going to be different from porcelain slip.

My greenware has been setting up nicely from the molds (Number 1 pottery plaster used), comes out no problem and keeps its form.

I am looking to get a few good books on mould making and slip casting as well.

I hope I am explaining my questions right. Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 4:25 PM, claymanny said:

Thank you!

Your supplier should have the numbers posted. If not. Choose a different supplier!

With an absorption of 1.25, this should fire to a frost Proof state. Which is generally considered under 3%. Test. I don't trust anything over Less than one percent.

https://standardceramic.com/collections/casting-slip/products/tan-stoneware-slip

Sorce

Archived