Duncan Teacher Voltage Help

Gowdy

Looking for help and some explanation. 
I have the opportunity to buy a Duncan The Teacher model ES 820-4. I am very new to ceramics and need all the help I can get. I found what I believe is the manual for this kiln although the model number says “DA 820-4” instead of “ES”. It also says that the voltage is 208. We have 240 and were planning on wiring it’s own box but how can I make the 208 work? I’m also confused because in the photo of the kiln, the kiln sitter says 240v. How can the kiln be 208 and the sitter 240? I’m very confused and would appreciate any and all help. 

The listing may have a typo; am finding "EA 820-4" documentation (also DA), not seeing any ES model.

There should be an ID plate on the kiln, specifying volts, amps, phase, etc.

A previous owner may have replaced the elements - to run in their environment - in which case the elements wouldn't match the ID plate spec. Any chance you can verify the voltage where the kiln is coming from? 

If the elements are worn - that is, if you are going to replace them anyway - just be sure to order the proper elements for your environment. Perhaps one of the electrically expert forum members will corroborate...

The sitter is a third party bit (is it a Dawson?  not made by Duncan), likely rated for 50 amps. The Dawson 50 amp sitter is very common.

The ID plate is the thing to look at.

Note the max temp rating; if you are planning to fire cone 5/6, a cone 6 rated kiln will struggle to reach max temp once the elements begin to wear.

ea.JPG

It's a good idea to measure the resistance of the elements with a multi-meter, and compare that to what it should be for your kiln. You can get that info on the Paragon website, or call them and ask. Where did the kiln come from? Was it being used in a home or a school?

You'll need 240 volt elements if you're using it in your home. Paragon may still have elements available, but it not you can get them from Euclids.com.

The sitter says 240 volts because that's the max voltage it can handle. Anything under that is fine.

24 minutes ago, Gowdy said:

Thank you both for your responses. After talking to an electrician friend we have concluded we won’t be able to get 208 voltage in our house. Big bummer since the kiln was only $75! 

You can convert the kiln to 240 v. It likely only requires the proper elements, to  change to 240. If it’s an old kiln, but in good shape at a super price and the elements were likely worn anyway (only last 100-150 firings) this may be worth it as long as the basic model fires to the cone you desire to be using this at. In your case, cone 5/6 you would prefer a cone 10 capable kiln and maybe settle for cone 8 Capable knowing element changes will need to be done more often. The manufacture likely made this very kiln for several voltages, only thing different is generally the resistance of the elements.

Archived