Kiln building help

I have been trying to build a salt kiln and have taken apart and re built a few times. I am working by myself using Phil Rogers small test kiln design. I have read through the Olson book. 
I’m still feeling lost and would prefer to work with somebody who has done this before because I am moving at a snails pace constantly doubting what I am doing. 

does anybody know of any “pay for guidance” people (maybe somebody who can offer me advice via photos and texting every few layers?) Or small salt building workshops that are not canceled and let you leave with plans? 

I am planning to attend a wood- salt firing workshop in the fall and hoped I could talk to the instructor about it. I would love to be able to fire it with wood but my plans only use propane. Many have tried to steer me to build one or the other.  I would prefer to have it built in august- september rather than wait another year. 

admin- feel free to move this post wherever it fits. I thought since I propositioned a sale it might go here. 

I pulled down Phils book from the shelve and took a look at his kiln design.

I strongly suggest building a gas kiln or a wood kiln-not a hybrid. Pick your fuel and go with that.

The book shows the build very well

I have a few questions -do you have enough bricks on site? and are you going to mortar the bricks or just lay them up dry (most of my kilns are made that  way to reuse bricks)

do you have the right arch bricks?

Do you have the steel for kiln supports?

I could talk to you about this and look at your photos-I do no want $ but should add I'm really busy right now with projects

if its just a little guidance no problem

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if this was a “buy sell trade” question because I asked about paying for help  Or a workshop, or equipment because I was talking about a kiln. 

I have enough bricks for the small kiln. I will need to purchase a few arch bricks for it. 
Since my bricks are refurbished I was originally using mortar on the bottom half to help With the inconsistencies in the brick but I prefer to dry stack for the same reasons stated above. 

11 hours ago, Rebekah Krieger said:

I have enough bricks for the small kiln. I will need to purchase a few arch bricks for it. 
Since my bricks are refurbished I was originally using mortar on the bottom half to help With the inconsistencies in the brick but I prefer to dry stack for the same reasons stated above. 

If you're using hard brick, which you should be using on the interior of a salt or wood kiln, you'll want to use a mortar of fireclay and sand. If you're also using soft brick for the exterior, you'll need to mortar those, too, to keep everything even.

Archived